Why??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Why???

He y I Don't have a dog, but my neighbor does. He gets out all the time. He just got out today, again. I always bring him home. He's really good on a leash. But today, he did everything but bite me when I tried to get him home. He layed down and wouldn't budge, when we walked away from his home, he was fine. I finally succeeded in getting him home, but I had to drag him a little to get him going. I hate doing that. Why was it so hard to get him home today? Is he abused? All I know, is the lady, gets a little miffed when he takes off, I can understand that, because they try everything, other then tying him, to get him to stay. All he got was a swat, and thrown into the house. I don't think any of that classifies as abuse, but any ideas, on how I can get him to go home easier? He's a sweet heart, all he wan ted to do was lick me to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

While it's nice of you to take the dog back you shouldn't have to. Your neighbor should tie the dog up or walk it, put up a fence etc. It's not safe for the pup to run loose. And her swating it and throwing it in the house isn't teaching it anything. Can she be talked to about this? How it's not safe for the pup. Or maybe she doesn't care. Only advice I can give is to try to talk her into tying the dog up while it's out. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Next time don;t bring it home, call animal control and have him picked up. If you are always returning him the owner will never learn. Plus they can look him over and see if there is abuse going on, though hitting in plain sight is a pretty good clue.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Update: they have ch ained him up temporarily, untill they can figure out how to keep him home. He got out again,a nd went all the way across 2 busy streets to Home Depot, and got caught by the pound. I went over to see him today, at first I tho ught he wasn't goign to let me on the porch, but then I called his name, and he knew who I was so he let me go see his parents, and they let me play with him, they took him off his chain, and told me when I was done to put him back on, and when ever they are home, I can go over and play with him.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:49 PM

I would say he doesn't want to go home cause he gets smacked when he does.Doesn't sound like he's very loved .
I have a fence so I don't have to worry about my dogs leaving or other dogs coming in, they're my kids, don't want them hurt!. When my dogs were puppies they usually were a pain to get in, so I ALWAYS reward with bisquits when they come inside after I call them. It works wonders- All 3 come in fast! I continue to do this even when they get old, bisquits are kept by the back door. It's amazing how good dogs can be with positive enforcement and not negative!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

actually they do, have a fenced yard, he digs out of the yard. They are trying to find ways of keeping him in the yard.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:50 AM

Well, there are certainly ways , invisable fencing for one.
Only reason I didn't get that kind is because I don't want dogs coming in my yard, but I would certainly use it if I had an escape artist. They are cheaper too then traditional fencing.Everyone in my neighborhood has invisable fencing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 AM

If their yard is already fenced, I would say get an invisible fence system (around $100 at Walmart or Petsmart) to use in conjunction with the regular fence. We used to have problems with Kali jumping over our 5 foot fence and when we got the invisible fence system, we set it to warn her when she got within 5 feet of the fence. It would begin shocking her when she got within 3 feet of the fence. Due to the setting, she never hopped it again, nor could she dig under it (if she did, she'd have to start the hole at least 3 feet away from the fence and dig down 3 feet into the dirt and not dig out until 3 feet away on the other side...not going to happen ) The other great thing about it was she never charged the fence when people would walk by...they thought she was just really well behaved and no strange children could reach her through the fence. After about a year with the invisibe fence, we had to buy her a new collar and just never put the transmitter on it to this day, (3 years later) she still has not hopped the fence and still stays a good distance from it even though we've moved and no longer have the system
I would make that suggestion to your neighbors. If you want, print this out and show them!! Pitbulls are stubborn dogs...I'm sure your neighbor would have great success with it!

Tags
animal control