Why do dogs scoot? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Why do dogs scoot?

i was wondering why dogs scoot on their bottoms across the floor? My dog does it often, mainly after he uses the bathroom. Any reasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

cause it itches or its dirty lol...thats why mine do it lol...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My dog used to do it when he needed to have his anal glands expressed.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

How old is your dog and what is the breed?

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM

I don't know if it is true or an old wives tale or not, but they used to say that it meant that they had worms. Anyone else ever heard this?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

It is because it itches... it could be a sign of worms or anal gland problems, but it could just be that it itches and that's it... if he does it really often you might want to take him to the vet to check for worms or to express his anal glands.

Dimaris

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yep i've always heard worms and normally i found its true eww

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dog Lady scoots from time to time, she has no worms, has regular vet check ups, she simply has an itch that needs to be scratcged sometimes...its not always the negative...but like said above, if its a regualr thing that happens often a vet visit is probably needed...my girl does it like once every other week or so, she sometimes scoots and others uses the tree lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah my dog does it sometimes but mainly when her anal glans need expressed.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Yeah, i think some dogs just have an itch, but, if its a new behavior or it happens alot, you might want to have her checked by a vet, Our neighbors dog used to do it when he needed his anal glan expressed as well. But davids parents have a beagle that just does it sometimes, we've taken her to the vet and they say everythings fine. but if you dog is doing it often you might want to have her checked just in case.

My Furry Family
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

They have worms
Need anal glands expressed
Their bottom itches
Their bottom is dirty there is poo they are trying to get off or sometimes grass which you can see they are trying to get out but can't so they scoot.

Check Them Out

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Turns out most of you guys were right.

Diesel did have worms. Tapeworms to be exact. The vet gave him a medication. He says they get them from mosquitos. Very interesting...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Poor pup, im glad you took him in and got it taken care of hope hes feeling better now

My Furry Family
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww wow! i'm glad that got resolved, he can be a happy sans-scooter now

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you give a heartworm preventative with ivermectin in it, many of those meds also protect against common worms like tapeworms. Many worms have the same life cycle and ivermectin disrupts the growth process of the worms. It's less than $5 a month for a dose here, check out the heartworm thread for more info on the meds (it's stickied).

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------