why does my puppy eat cat poop out of the littler box? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

why does my puppy eat cat poop out of the littler box?

yucky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Playful Pup

Apparently it's a great treat to them!!! We had to move our litterbox b/c Serene was getting possessive when she got a hold of poop! She will only eat it if it's coated with litter though. Apparently plain wasn't good enough for her!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 07:46 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Yucko ! This is a fact of life in my house ... Dutchy is 7 years old and has done it all his life! The vet explained to me that it's because cat food has such a higher fat content - and that he's craving that fat.
I can't even barricade the pan from him - I tried once and he made a heck of a mess trying to get to it. We were looking at cat pans the other day that are hooded with the door in the top - had a good laugh imagining Dutch getting into that one.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Adolescent Pup

very yucky i agree
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Tatyana used to do that, but she grew out of it i guess.... but now Natalya is doin in, but i just bought baby gates to keep her out of the "cat room" .. so far it has worked
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Miss New Booty

YUCK it is gross isn't it!!!! I had no idea that dogs did that, until I took Kahlua for his first vet appt, she told me to try to keep him away from the cat box, dogs like to go in it, I said "WHAT?"

There is some stuff you can get to sprinkle on your kitties food if it becomes a big problem, but I have never used it. It's called Distaste(?), I think, so when the cats use the box, the dogs don't want to go in there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy74
She will only eat it if it's coated with litter though. Apparently plain wasn't good enough for her!!
Kathy Ewwww!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 01:36 PM

My last litter of puppies loved the litter box--- we had to use baby gates to keep them out of that room. My older dogs have no fascination with it. Luckily, all the puppies went to homes where they are only children so I guess their new owners aren't fighting that battle. Good Luck.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Kali used to eat cat poop out of the litter box...we always knew it when she would come in the room with "fresh" breath and when we lifted her lips, she'd have clumping kitty litter stuck to her teeth! YUCK! So we bought a litter box with a special cover that he (the cat) had to climb under and up to get into it...solved that problem!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Ok...as far as I know I think all dogs do it.

From what I understand, if a dog isn't getting enough nutrients in the food, they'll eat feces. They can still taste the food in the poo, so it tastes good to them.

I think it's called cognophelia. (sp?) They have stuff out there to deter them from eating poo. And ironically, the stuff we sell is called Deter. I know if it has a lot of corn and wheat in the regular dog food, they'll poo more and eat their own poo, simply because the food isn't digesting properly and going right through them.

Karen

[

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Our cats litter box is up on a table and held down with a bungy strap to keep our dogs out of it. The bungy strap was added after Lacey dumped the whole thing twice!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

nasty if they wanna eat poop so much why dont they eat their own then it would be less mess for us to clean up
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Dutchess mommy - Ha be careful what you wish for! My Mandy would eat dog poop in a heartbeat! She's leashed now because of a heart condition but when she was free she couldn't wait to find a pile of poop! I clean my yard but you miss one now and then. Imagine my surprise when I first saw my sweet little chocolate puppy runing across the yard with poop in her mouth!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
Imagine my surprise when I first saw my sweet little chocolate puppy runing across the yard with poop in her mouth!
i can only imagine this lol
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 AM

yuck discustingm, lol
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 05:41 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Seamus is sneaky about trying to eat our kitties' poo.

First he would just go into the bathroom and grab him a piece ( ) and then we started teaching him he was FORBIDDEN to go into the bathroom at all.

Well, being the good little sheltie he is, he would stick his head through the door and around the corner, grab a poo from the box without going into the bathroom and run!

So, we had to turn the cat box a different way to where he couldn't reach it from the entrance way.

My husband's mother's dog likes to roll in cow patties. She won't eat any poo, but she sure does like to roll in it!

They need to buy her some Eau de Poo for Christmas!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
cat food, dog food, kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes, older dog