Why Obedience Train? ... - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Newborn Pup

Awesome post! My crazy fluffball (Dre) was extremely hard to handle when I had first adopted him... and I am so thankful that I had taken him to obedience training. Now, I get so many compliments at how well behaved he is. Consistency is definitely key as well as tons of positive reinforcement!!! The obedience training I took him to was at my local PETCO store and we met once a week for six weeks. Just as you recommended, we used a leash-- What a HUGE help!!!

---
Save a life or two and adopt a pet!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Playful Pup

Obedience training is very important especially to dogs with behavioral problems. It will correct the bad behavior of your dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Hi Deja, I truly enjoyed your post about training particularly since it involves positive reinforcement and endorses making yourself the fun object for your dog in training and in recall. The one thing that I also think of as even the most important aspect of training is that all 'good' training strengthens the bond between you and your dog; and even if you've gone through training as with your dog as a puppy, it doesn't stop there. Training is a constant event, on walks with treats, at a dog park (practicing with distractions), and having good canine behavior when in a store with your pets. I train my tibetan terriers (noted for their WIFM (what's in it for me?) beliefs) with the treat that works best for them be it food or praise or a belly rub. I've done Rally Obedience with my older (3.5 yrs) TT, Dunkie, but have never competed because for me, it's not about the ribbon. Sorry I'm rambling but wanted to tell you how 'right on' you are with your advice. Best, Sue Yellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Newborn Pup

thanks for the tips, my shihtzu does not listen to anything i say i can't even get her to come when i call her. She is a puppy and loves to bite and is very hipper would love to calm her down.

New Work At Home Job Lists
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Newborn Pup

Thank you for the information! As owner of a beagle mix I am always looking for new ideas... he has the basic obedience down, but every now and then he's a slave to his nose and becomes distracted.

Last edited by Sasami; 06-21-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: removed ad
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 AM
Newborn Pup

Obedience training is quite simply training your dog to be obedient. It includes training them the basic commands including: sit, stay, heel, come and so on. There are two basic approaches to obedience training. One school of though employs negative reinforcement techniques like choke collars and electric shocks while the other utilizes a simple clicker and rewards. Which do you think works best? Clicker training and rewards, here’s why…

Free Videos Show Effective Dog Obedience Training >>
Negative reinforcement breeds fear. It makes your dog afraid of you and of others. Fear causes aggression and unpredictable behavior. The results are a dog which bites, destroys your property and barks incessantly.
While negative reinforcement behaviors may work in the short run, they are not predictable. For the best dog training results you want to make sure that the behaviors are predictable and repeatable.

Dog training with positive reinforcement creates bond that will last a lifetime and using a clicker is the most effective and efficient tool to accomplish the task.

Dog Obedience Training using a clicker is a training method which uses a tool, a clicker. The clicker tells your dog the instant it has performed a correct or desirable behavior. The sound is their signal that they’ve done it right.

This clicking sound combined with positive reinforcement like verbal praise and food rewards is an incredibly effective way to train your dog to perform any behavior including sit, stay, heel, fetch, speak, attack, roll over, play dead, lay down and just about any behavior or trick you can think of. Before you get started with clicker training there are some tips to make the most of your clicker training sessions.
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Newborn Pup

Great information shared, really helpful. I need help, I am going to retrain some choirs to my 6 years old pitbull. When I start training him again, he starts acting itself lazy and use to sit over a place like a pig.

post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Newborn Pup

Thank you for this information. Big help!
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Newborn Pup

After I read your article, I found the topic is shared here is interesting and it is good to share with others.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Newborn Pup

Great post!

Thank you for sharing this information, Deja. I'm glad that I found your post. I always give my dog a treat and praises as a reward for doing great on basis commands. You just need longer patience if doing the Obedience training but it's all worth it.

I’m the lead content curator for Coops And Cages and a couple of other pet blogs. My love for animals is matched by my love for 'attempting' to play the guitar.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Newborn Pup

Thanks foe these great info sure would be a lot of help to us dog parents.

allinadogslife.wordpress.com
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Newborn Pup

We all know that some basic obedience training makes dogs more fun to be around. So, if you are having a dog, then its better to take her to a dog trainer. As, many of us don't know that dog obedience training has lots of benefits to your dog. Obedience training helps your dog see you as her leader, and it also gives her a mental workout - something that many canines need just as much as physical exercise to stave off boredom and make them feel useful. And some commands, like a good recall, may even save your dog's life one day.
--------------------------------
K9 Dog Obedience Training - Sydney Australia

Last edited by K9davidscott; 11-07-2014 at 05:00 AM.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Newborn Pup

There is

Quote:
Originally Posted by combsisthebest View Post
You mention using a leash, but is there anyway around that? I say this because I want to retrain some things to my 8 year old (almost) chihuahua. However, when I get the leash she thinks we are going for a walk, and I don't want to get her "hopes down".
'

Hopefully, there are ways of training your dog without using leash. Dogs are smarter than we think they are. There is this time when I went to the mall and saw a cute pom with her owner walking happily and peacefully around the place. And guess what, the pom doesn't even have a leash!
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 AM
Newborn Pup

And by the way, thanks for sharing this interesting information! This is really worth giving a few minutes of reading.

Tags
dog food, dog training, family dog, food bowl, german shepard, human food, obedience training, potty train, potty trained