Why oh Why? Samson's Story Gets Worse :( - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I hope that you and samson get through this deb. You are doing everything in your power for him and that's why he loves you so much.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Don't be so hard on yourself about the immunization. You were doing what you thought was right... hopefully its something treatable quickly. The poor little pup sees you as a light in his life it seems. I'm sure he knows how much you love him and how much you just want him to be better. Probably tryin' to play 'tough guy' so you aren't so sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Deb .. My thoughts and prayers are with you ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

The Plot Thickens

Well after a long day out and about I came home, curled up with Samson, and we both passed out lol. Hence, the late update.

Lyme Disease
All of the consulting here and there and no one is able to confirm whether or not Samson has Lyme disease. Now they seem to feel that he actually does NOT have Lyme but that it's just the vaccine showing up on the test. Nevertheless, he has begun the antibiotics "just in case". We have also done yet another "way too expensive" blood test that's "supposed" to be able to tell for certain.... results in about a week.

TPO Surgery for Hips?
DENIED! Samson was not approved by the surgeon for the TPO surgery. Doc feels the hip displaysia is not as bad as Samson's other doc had felt. The surgeon feels Samson will likely be able to get through life with the hips he's got. Though he did note they were certainly displaced and he'll likely always have the "bunny hop" as well as the imperfect sitting etc he felt there was no reason to dig away in there. He also denied Samson because the surgeon feels there is something far more serious wrong and that by the time we get everything fixed with the 'other thing' it'll be too late for TPO.

Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD)
Note: Samson had some shoulder x-rays in the pile because it was the front leg limping that started the ball rolling on all of this in the first place. The first x-ray the doc pulled out happened to have a shot of Samson's left shoulder (the best leg on the dog as far as usage goes right now). He stuck it up on the light and said "Oh Wow! This dog has OCD!". He looked at me and says... you guys are treating lyme because of this limp? I responded with "He's not limping on that leg he's limping on the other..." Doc continued through the x-rays and explained that both shoulders have OCD...the Right has already broken the flap and the left would likely break any time now because the pictures show it very clearly in the left...though not as clearly in the right shoulder the movement of samson makes it clear there...

Samson's walk etc is getting worse by the hour this past day or two and tonight he's just whining...so I've got him all drugged up again.

We're having another radiologist and surgeon check everything out this week for a second..err third..hmmm actually fourth opinion and if he agrees then it looks like Samson will be heading in for surgery in about 10 days on the Right Shoulder (since it's obviously affecting him the most right now) and then in another two to three weeks after that surgery on the Left shoulder... and from there some therapy etc to get him up and walking again.

I'm struggling with all of the "wildly different answers" from hips, to lyme, to ocd, but from my limited "VetEd On the Net" OCD in the shoulders certainly seems to match... as does the hip displaysia ahh heck..as does the lyme disease...

Samson's biggest complaint is in those shoulders though so if we can fix those at least we'd be fixing what he is complaining about rather than what all of the blood and x-rays want us to look at... The OCD is looking like just over a grand per shoulder plus the rehab and reovery stuff to go with it.....

Has anyone dealt with OCD? Thoughts opinions on this one? Everytime I spend a night learning all I can about one thing a new thing is tossed my way... I'm almost afraid learning about it will cause something else to pop up..sheeessshhhh

Bottom line... he still needs double surgery... he will not be able get the TPO on the hips...they want to do surgery on both shoulders...and the lyme disease remains the "great mystery"...
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

For what it's worth... I found this link/explanation/pictures for OCD in the shoulder

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/shoulder.htm
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:12 PM

Oh geez! All I can say is
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I will continue to pray. I really hope everything gets better.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 AM

I'm really sorry the surgery was denied, Deb .. I just really hope that the other surgeries will solve the problems as much as possible ... unfortunately, I can't offer you any advice like you requested because this is all way over my head ... I just really wish you and Samson the best ...
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Rhonda

Tags
lyme disease