Why oh Why? Samson's Story Gets Worse :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Why oh Why? Samson's Story Gets Worse :(

Besides the confirmed problems this poor puppy is having as explained in this thread:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22339

Samson's Serology results just came back in...

I had the tick serology blood test done because of the tick problem we had and the sudden onset of the front leg limping on top of the back legs.... $183 for that darned test and it came back positive for Lyme Disease

This poor pup has got to be in a world of pain.... and it's hard to see him like this...I feel sooooooooo bad...... It's so not fair..he really doesn't deserve this

We're waiting for the doc to call back now and to get another appointment for him today for a new set of meds in hopes of treating/curing the lyme disease...

I HOPE this does not take him out of the running for the TPO Surgery.

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh Deb, I am so sorry! I don't know what to say except that I'm sorry and I will be praying for Samson.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sorry to hear that. Prayers will go up for you and Samson.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Playful Pup

I'm so sorry!! Poor baby, he doesn't deserve so much wrong with him at such a young age. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Terri....AKA Chicklet

Momma to 3 fur babies
--Jazzy 2/20/1993 (breed unknown)

--Baby 4/11/03 - 9/20/04 (black lab mix)
(I love you and miss you very much!!)

--Daisy 8/31/04 (yellow lab mix)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm very sorry

We see tons of Lyme disease here in Conn. Usually Lyme can be cured in 3 weeks with antibiotics but we stretch it to 4 weeks just to be safe. I hope that is time enough to get his surgery in! Keep us posted.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I will be keeping you and Samson in my prayers, too. Poor pup!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
I'm very sorry

We see tons of Lyme disease here in Conn. Usually Lyme can be cured in 3 weeks with antibiotics but we stretch it to 4 weeks just to be safe. I hope that is time enough to get his surgery in! Keep us posted.
That's encouraging to hear. I've seen things online talking about 30 to 90 days so in a panic I feared "90 days" w/o giving regard to the 30 day option. I think 30 days would keep us as hopefuls for the surgery but fear 90 days would push us out of the running....

I do appreciate the kind words/thoughts/prayers. They do help...if nothing else to calm the nerves. Now if the doc would just call back.....grumble

- Deb

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am so sorry Deb! Our thoughts and prayers are definately with you!

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That poor thing...I'm so sorry...I'll be praying for you.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!

So I decide, FINE! No one is calling me back so I'll just go down there!

1/2 hour before closing.

I get there and say...this dog has lyme and I really need to begin treating asap cuz "time is of the essence" right now.

Well Samson's doc wasn't in today so other doc had to consult with Samson's doc and then Samson's doc was supposed to tell nurse to call me back. Somewhere in the midst of all that... the call me back part was forgotten about.

It didn't even dawn on me that Samson had the Lyme Disease Vaccine exactly 30 days ago in the midst of his other vaccines. And NOW I read how serious the side effects of that vaccine can be..... TOO LATE NOW -- How could I be so stupid

From http://www.drschoen.com/articles_L2_10_.html
==========================
As far as prevention goes, this is a sticky wicket. There is a great deal of controversy concerning the dog Lyme vaccine. There is a great debate about how well they actually work as well as potential side effects. There are publications concerning its safety, but the researchers only look 24 hours after the vaccine reaction. Research at Cornell University veterinary school brings up some suspicion that there may be potential long term side effects of the vaccine, though nothing is certain. These side effects may vary from rheumatoid arthritis and all the major symptoms of lyme disease to acute kidney failure. Though nothing is definitively documented, I personally am very cautious and do not recommend vaccinating for Lyme disease even though it is so epidemic here. Many veterinary schools and major veterinary centers do not recommend the vaccine for the same concern regarding potential side effects.
=================

Apparently the doc has to call the testing place back now to consult with them because there is some question as to whether or not the test is positive due to the vaccine or due to actual lyme disease!

Long story short...I have no meds yet for Samson.... but I still have his consult with the surgeon tomorrow who apparently is also already aware of our predicament.

Samson is getting worse not better which made me have no doubt in my mind that he had/has lyme disease..but if the vaccine can be just as bad if not worse than the disease itself...now i have no idea what's wrong!

If it's lyme disease I WANT TO BEGIN TREATING HIM NOW

If it's the vaccine I have no idea what the treatment plan is... not a clue.

Poor thing barely functions with his back legs cuz his hips are so screwy and now both his front legs are all screwed up due to the muscle pains and God only knows what else he's feeling.

I feel terrible.... I hope I didn't screw up bad by allowing him to get that vaccine...gawd I never meant to make things worse for him!

And the lil tike..geezzz I walk in the door and he's lying there on the floor little butt just a wiggling and head bopping up and down so excited to see me taking all he's got to get up and greet me if I don't get down on the floor fast enough to greet him first. How in the world he can love me while being in pain when it's me who is supposed to be responsible enough to make sure he isn't in pain is beyond me.

I just want him to get better...I hate not having anything in my arsenal to make that happen RIGHT NOW. This waiting and hoping for "who knows what" is awful

--
sorry for the rant..I'm just really messed up right now

- Deb

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh no, thats just terrible! They need to get on the ball and get Samson treated for this. I'm so sorry. Reading these posts just breaks my heart.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh Geez! Deb I'm so sorry! Don't be so hard on yourself! You didn't know about the vaccine and was just trying to do what you could to help prevent Samson from getting it!
You and Samson are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you guys can get this licked as soon as possible. Samson loves you and knows you would never purposely do anything to harm him.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh gosh deb. i'm so sorry hun. i hate waiting on dr's to get with it. we are all here for you!
samson knows that you are doing everything you can for him. he loves you more than anything. don't worry.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm so sorry you and Samson have to go through all of this. You guys will still be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rhonda

Tags
lyme disease