Will this happen again? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Will this happen again?

When we 1st got Indy he was quite well house trained and he never went toilet in the house, but when we got Olle we was picking mess up on a daily basis. Olle went toilet in the house and then Indy followed suit. He just did not respond to anything we did. he even went toilet on our bed.

Now ever since Olle has been gone we have only had 2 inside toilet incidents and that was when he was left alone in the house.

We are getting another dog sometime this month or next and I was just wondering if this problem will arise again and if it does what shall we do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

When a new dog comes into the picture, the older dog that was there before sometimes feels like, "Hey! They can potty in the house, I need to potty in the house, too!" Kirby did this when we first got Seamus.

We caught him in the act and gave him a FIRM scolding and then put him outside. After two scoldings, Kirby got the point and quit. Also, be sure to clean up the mess REALLY well to try and eliminate the scent from the waste.

If it gets too out of control, you might have to look at crating as an option so that neither puppy has free run and therefore has lower chances of eliminating in the house.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have to say that I would or could never put my dog in a crate.
i know a lot of people do but i would sooner clean up poo all day every day than put them in a crate.
If he starts doing it I will just have to get my strict voice out and hopefully he will get the message.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If you don't mind me asking, why are you against crate training?

As to your potential problem, I think it depends on what the new dog is like. If Indy is back on track then I doubt he will start behaving badly with a new addition as long as his routine remains stable.

If the new edition uses the restroom in the house though, he will probably mark his territory as well. The best thing you can do is clean up any accidents immediately with an enzyme-based cleaner so they won't be encouraged to continue.

The most crucial time will be when the two first meet. I suggest you have them meet outside in your yard to they can introduce themselves to each other's scents and what not outdoors. Stay outside with them for at least a half hour to make sure everything is "processed." As soon as you get the new dog start increasing the number of times you let both dogs out until they get used to each other.

Even if you don't agree with crate training I suggest that in the beginning you at least limit where they are allowed while you are not home. Perhaps a linoleum-lined room for easy clean up? They should be able to remain comfortable if you put a doggie bed down and some toys ... and this way if marking does take place at least you can clean it up easier.

Good luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh they will not be left alone ever.
I did not want to start a big debate on crate training as I know I am the minority when it comes to not liking them. I just could not put my dog in a small crate and leave him.
Dogs are creatures that like space and to explore and I just dont think they can do that in a crate sorry jmo

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Tags
crate training, older dog