Will her ear stand? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Question Will her ear stand?

Dakota's ears both stood up (the way puppy shepherds ears do, of course) when we got her. The next day, her left one was off to the side. I've been starting to get a little concerned about if that means it won't stand or ...? I'm probably just being a worry wort, but I don't wanna leave it alone in case I should "help" it to stand again, at the same time I don't wanna mess with it in case it makes it worse...

Do I need to be worried about this or no? She's 10 weeks old... is she getting to the age that I should be concerned if her ears are going to stand, and if not, when? My gut tells me that she's just too young still, but I don't wanna be wrong and then have a floppy ear I could've prevented...

(Don't get me wrong, if her ear stays floppy I'll still love her to bits and pieces... How could I not!?!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mal I'm sure jodi will be able to help you on this one as to whether it is normal or not!!! but one of our nurses at work (the one I never work with) has a blue cattle dog and his ear does something funny so she stuck masking tape to the back of it to give it support and the ear is correctingitself. It's the first time I've ever heard of it but she shows her dogs and so having a bent ear is not a good thing and that's what she has always used to correct them and it has worked for her everytime!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

I thought of using some tape... But I didn't wanna mess with it (like I said) if it is still growing and the remedy is just time... My other concern with that was if she'd have a reaction to the tape. Or, if she'd rip it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok well I dunno want to tell you! i think Manto had some ear issues but I'm not sure if they were the same or not so just wait for Jodi to reply or other German shepard owners! I've never owned one so I don't really know!!! I'm sure waiting a couple of days is not going to matter!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know myself. All i know is one of my chi's ears wouldnt stand and then one day they both were standing straight up and have been since. She was 5 months when that happened.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

That happens with a lot of pups. When they are born, the cartilage that holds up their ears isn't fully formed. It may take a few weeks for it to harden to the point that it can hold up the weight of the ear by itself. Normally, this process happens perfectly fine on its own.

Be careful you don't bend the ears too much at this stage because the cartilage isn't fully developed -- it is easy to break. If you break the cartilage at this point in development your pup's ears may never stand up. I mention that because a lot of owners make the mistake of fooling with their puppy's ears in an attempt to get them to stand up.

The time it will take them to stand up varies by breed and by individual dog. When my chihuahua, Ethel, was a pup her ears stood up at 6 wks. Her littermate, Bob's, took nearly another 2 weeks past her. So, it really does vary.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 09:16 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Oh my goodness Mal....she's much too young to be worrying about her ears standing up! (you're a worry wart just like me!) Shepherds go through one of the worst funny ear stages you will ever see. Remember all of my pictures of Manto? You will get some good laughs and lots of good pictures!

Don't mess with her ears, just leave 'em alone. If you *play* with 'em too much you can mess with the cartlidge in them.

And don't worry, if it's a full shepherd, they will eventually stand up but 10 weeks is young...I'll look through my pics tonight and figure out when Manto's ears were finally up. Bach's ears were up at about 4 months old.

And they will flip flop back and forth. One day they may be up....the next down. One day the left may be up and the next day the right will be up and left will be down! Enjoy this stage because they look so cute! And like I said, shepherds go through a very funny awkward/teenager stage. I have some classic pics of Manto and those ears of his. I can't wait to see pics of Dakota going through these stages.

Forgive me if you already posted this...but what size were the parents?

~ Jodi ~

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Mal is just freaking out because her mother-in-law thinks she knows it all, and said that Kota's ear would be hanging forever!! Mal...you are a worry wart arent you!?! Silly!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Well ewww on her MIL. Tell her to talk what she knows. ROFL

Jodi is right. Dakota is much to young to worry. Most shepards I know don't have their ears completely stand up until they are 4-5 months.

Even if her ear didn't stand all the way up, she would still be adorable. My gazoo is a one ear up one ear down baby. His other never stood due to an ear infection and him scratching it so much he broke the cartiladge down.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I told her, but she musta needed Jodi's word since she has the studly Manto...lol.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

okay! LOL Melissa. Thanks Jodi (especially) as well as everyone else. I try to not tough them, like when I pet her, I'll pet between her ears so that way the one that does stand doesn't get messed with for sure.

Thanks for reassuring me!

Tags
cattle dog, ear infection, german shepard