This will never work ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

This will never work ...

I'm working on independence training with Gumbo and one of the commands I'm trying to teach is 'go lay down' and have him go lay down on his bed rather than on me, on my feet, whatever. He knows what it means, but has no concept of 'stay' yet.

I just had him go lay down and was trying to get him to stay. I kept correcting him when he started to get up (at-at-at) and he knew I wanted him down ... so he scooted across the floor to me, army crawl style. I just about died laughing, it was so cute! I'm never going to get him to stay if he does that and I start laughing every time!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

awww... where are the pics????

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Like I could take pics in between laughing! I'm not THAT fast.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 02:17 AM

Oh how cute. He's a pug! Pugs aren't known for their obedience they are known for their cuddly factor!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 02:56 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jade too cute!!!
Gumbo has his mommy wrapped around his wittle paw

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Steph, he probably thought he could get away with it because he scooted instead of walked! He just can't stay away from you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

how cute steph!!! you know though, technically gumbo just offered you a new trick! If you put a waord to it every time he does it you'll be able to get him to do that on command and once he knows that trick it is, when you aren't saying that command he shouldn't do it Just food for thought!!!! Thr girl I co-work with gets her clicker out for training and just waits to see what her dogs offer to her. She's got them doing some pretty cute stuff without even trying!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

We had a pug pup come in for vaccinations the other day! Looked JUST like Gumbo only smaller. I got to talking with the owner and found myself almost bragging about Gumbo and the training you've already done! She was amazed and wanted to know if you could train her pug!
(I had the pleasure of meeting Gumbo last week. He's REALLY smart and just too cute for words!)

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Mandie, you are so lucky!!! Gumbo is too cute for words, but I can only judge by pictures!

Speaking of which.....I haven't seen new Gumbo pictures recently! C'mon Steph, are you holding out on us?

Gumbo! Gumbo! Gumbo!

Karen

[

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That is so cute! I would be laughing too.

We taught my mom's dog how to stay by telling her to sit, and then holding her in that position while another person said "stay" and stood a few feet away from her. Then the person would say "come" and we'd let her go and give her a treat. We taught her so many things! She learned to sit, stay, speak, shake, beg, wave, rollover and play dead. We taught her how to play dead by making a gun shape with our hand and saying "bang!" and then pushing her over and saying "stay." We even taught her how to whine while she was playing dead. She is the smartest dog!

Good luck with training Gumbo.

Rats have rights...& mice too!