At wits end... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

At wits end...

Shar has been having a few bouts with Pancreatitis for about a month now, so one extended slow smouldering case most likely.
She had her first bout with it about a year ago. Cleared up with just a week long diet change and she was fine. This one had us beside ourselves over the holiday weekend because she had a couple of days with incontinence problems.
Tomorrow she goes in for Day One of the iv fluid therapy. We'll get to bring her home overnight, then back to the vet for the 2nd day...he recognizes that it might stress her beyond belief to stay overnight with so many of the recent changes in her life. Thank goodness he agreed with me on that one! Then more bloodwork to check her levels..and possibly a third day of iv fluids.
He actually thinks because of the dogs both having softer stool at the moment on top of this...that we should switch them back to Science Diet (off the Flint Valley Ranch..which by ingredients and fat content is MUCH better!!) until we can rule out any other problems.
So close on the heels of the Dragon having an extended case of resistant Coccidia and losing our Sif to stomach cancer.
I would give anything to have all my animals happy and healthy all at once again. Its been Pet illness after pet illness since November!!
(Sorry if this belonged in Rants.....I wasnt sure where to put it since it kinda fell under both....Dogs and Rants.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM

Red face

Unfortunately you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to pets! And it seems that almost every day at least one person on this forum has a sick pet!
I hope Shar gets well soon? Sending her get well vibes xx
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Has your vet induced an NPO (nothing by mouth) protocol for Shar?

http://www.vetinfo.com/dpancrea.html...20pancreatitis
Quote:
We usually treat pancreatitis by withholding food for 24 to 72 hours, depending on what happens during that time period. We give fluids by subcutaneous or intravenous means and use antibiotics, pain-relief medications and other medications as indicated by the dog's condition.
I wouldn't lean towards going back to Science Diet. If she had it when she was on it too, what good would that possibly do? If the Flint River Ranch has less fat and more pure ingredients, I highly doubt it's the culprit. My guess would be that she never really got over it the first time, so the new food may have aggravated her stomach. I agree, FRR is much better than Science Diet, IMO.

Hang in there, things will start to look up soon.

Stephanie

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes, we started that protocol yesterday (Feb 23rd) and today her Lipase was down to 1835. Just a tad over normal but still over, so she goes back tomorrow for day three of iv fluids.
In the previous bouts of it the levels would come down after one day of fasting and restricted food intake for a couple of days. So we tried that first over the long weekend and it didnt help this time.
On the bright side (sorta? lol) she's dropped a few pounds, and honestly, she needed to. LoL. Roly-poly Bullies.
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. The forum is great for people who dont have anyone who loves their animals like we do locally. Most people around me think I'm nuts when I drop money on healthcare for my babies like I do. I personally cant see doing any less for them than I would for my kids.
Anyway, here's to positive thinking for tomorrow. Keep the good thoughts coming please.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sending pawsitive thoughts your pups way.I hope things go well.

Last edited by chocolatepuppy; 02-25-2005 at 06:25 PM.