Photos! Wolfdogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wolfdogs

Hey all!

I'm big into wolf/wolfdog rescue and education. I currently own a rescued mid-content black phase female named Kyra. Does anyone else own a wolfdog? (:

Unfortunately I have to say that most people that think that they own wolfdogs, really don't. They were lied to by breeders, and made them believe that their husky/german shepherd mix is really "97% wolf!!"

I'm completely open to any questions anyone may have about wolfdogs in general, and if anyone else "owns" one feel free to post pics. (:

This is Kyra. (:

^ with Anatolian shepherd Raksha

This is back in Feb, when her coat was still thick & soft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Living with a wolfdog & Anatolian shepherd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aww! She is so very cute! I have never heard of wolfdogs before, but they sure are cute

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

http://www.txwolfdog.webs.com/ is a website I am making about wolfdog basics, if you're interested in learning more thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Great! That sounds awesome...thank you!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Hello Earthling

Gourgeus!!! Do you have to keep here outside, is see that you have pens and what not?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yes, the girl I got her from said that she had been living in an apartment the first few months of her life. They're quite hard to housetrain and Kyra never "got it." At this age they prefer living outside by default. I have a 20x20ft pen that has a top and bottom that she can't get out of when I'm not outside to supervise her in the yard. It's safer for everyone. (:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

pretty dog. And by the way...
anatolians are one of my fav dogs. Id love to see more pics!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have more of my Anatolian in the "Introductions" forum

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

Kyra is a nice looking animal.
I belong to a dog forum and have learned quite alot about wolf hybrids.They can be quite destructive and not easily managable as dogs.

How do you find Kyra with training and everything?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

As she is an older rescue, she has behavioral problems typical of poorly bred, poorly socialized wolfdogs. She is extremely skittish around new people and new situations in general.
She knows a few commands -- Sit, Down, Watch Me. Though like most northern breed dogs, she hardly ever comes when I call her name. There seems to always be something more interesting to do than listen to mommy. Although if I have any sort of food/treats on me, she's MUCH more interested in hearing what I have to say!

I've also only had her about 6 months. I take her on walks around the neighborhood -- but I have to bring my Anatolian with me, or Kyra will not want to leave the yard. I walked her once, just me and her, but she's much more fearful without a dog companion. I know that many wolfdogs are like that, though, even the ones raised properly from birth.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

shes really cute. ~Love Her~

~Sam-Woodmor~

My pets-

Jewel and Ruby

Merlin

Gotta Love Them

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

OoO a wolf dog! i thought i would never get to see one! but is she not like dangerous cause shes half wolf?? (thats if they are half wolf) or are they to different breeds of dogs like a husky? i dont really know alot about them so do they just act like normal dogs or do you sometime see her wolf side?

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies

Last edited by AnimalMad; 08-04-2009 at 02:32 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well first off she isn't half wolf. (; The pure wolf in her is about 3 generations back, her parents weren't even half wolf. Kyra is actually more wolf than dog.

That doesn't make her any more dangerous than any other large breed dog. In fact, she's a bit more safe than most dogs because of the fact that she is always securely contained, or under my control when not in my yard.

Wolfdogs are very...intense in behavior. Wolves are naturally shy of humans by nature, and many wolfdogs inherit that trait. Kyra is no exception; she'd much rather run and hide than bite ANYONE, provided she isn't cornered.
So yes, the "wolf" in her is quite predominant. (:

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

oh thanks because i didnt know if it was a wolf and a dog that had stared it of ,if you know what i mean, and 3 generations on kyra was born with wolf in her . i thought it was huskys and other dogs like that being bred and they looked wolf-like

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies

Tags
wolfdog