Wood chewing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wood chewing

Would it be ok to get a piece of wood for Myfanwy to chew and if so what type?
She loves to chew wood for some reason.
She has chewed the shoe rack and a table and when we go out she always chews sticks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know if it's good for them or not, as I worry about splinters. But, Jake loves to chew on little sticks. He is always stealing pieces of kindling from our wood pile. I know that the neighbor's dog loves to chew up sticks. Let me know if it works.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Dont know... I would be afraid of her chocking on a small piece... or of blockage cause by the wood (or splinters puncturing her track... just like cooked bones do)... I think you should try to discourage the behavior and get her to chew dog-safe chews.

Dimaris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I definately wouldn't encourage her to chew on wood or sticks of any kind as they can cause nasty injuries and i agree with Padfoot you should discourage the behaviour and try and get her onto dog friendly chews or toys

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I try to stop her from eating the furniture but when they are out they both chew on sticks.
They have a lot of soft toys but what other toys should they have?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Seamus liked chewing wood and inside I would put things like Tabasco sauce on the wood I didn't mind getting a little red and a bitter spray I bought at a pet store (similar to Bitter Apple sold in America) on the others that I didn't want stained. On top of that, I gave him cow thigh bones bought at the pet store. These are absolutely HUGE and he loves gnawing on them.

Occassionaly, outside he will get ahold of a stick he wants to gnaw and I try to discourage it as much as possible. You just have to watch them when they're outside.

Don't let them chew wood because it can easily scratch or tear the tender gums around their teeth. This happened to Seamus and it took about 2 weeks for his gum to heal.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They sometimes have bones or pigs ears to chew.
I think i was a little hasty in just blaming Myfanwy for the table chewing. i was watching telly yesterday and Indy was walking past the table and he just started chewing on it.
I am trying to stop them.
i dont want them to hurt themselves on it

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Tags
pet store