Would you do the same this Police did? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Would you do the same this Police did?

Police Defend Decision To Shoot Small Dog

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...z0bRSbG3w.cspx

Quote:
Monday night the family told 9News they wondered why the officers didn't call the SPCA to catch the 5 lb. dog.
I feel he's sick, poor pup.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Playful Pup

i would not have done that

Sally 16 year old Balck lab

Chewy 6 year old Samoyed mix

Cassie 6 year old Britney spanial

Choctaw 3 year old Chocolate lab

Coke 5 year old Degu

Pepsi 5 year old Degu

Bubba 5 year old Dutch
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Honestly if the dog was attacking the way the officers claim he was I don't see any other choice. Jack Russells are notorious for being persistent and aggressive if they have/want to. If the dog had released the officer they could have tried to subdue or catch it another way.

Quote:
According to a press release issued by Blue Ash Police on Wednesday, the report provided to them by the SPCA, who examined the dog after the incident, states the dog’s primary breed as a Jack Russell Terrier and that it weighed 20 pounds.
A five pound chihuahua is one thing a 20 pound JTR mix is another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
the rodent lover<3

No. I wouldn't do it.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

It really depends. The dog lover in me says no I would have just dealt with the pain until it finally let go or more then likely used a breaking stick that I would hopefully have handy. The other part of me says that can be so painful, even if it is "just a 20lbs dog" I've seen some serious damage done by 20lbs dogs of the terrier variety and I would have to do something to protect myself or another person. This is no different then a Pit Bull, a JRT (although this was a mix) can be just as tenacious and determined, although they are smaller it doesn't mean that they won't do any damage and that they never behave aggressively. They also have that same drive and a taser can be little deterrant. It is such a hard call. It also looks like in reality another dog paid the price for irresponsible owners. Because I'm wondering how this dog was loose to bite the owner and they lived in town it seems without having their dog even UTD on a rabies shot.

As far as why AC wasn't their it isn't out of the norm in many places to for police officers to answer complaints of loose dogs and such. When AC is off duty, busy, not in that area, ect police will usually come. When their is a bite involved also many times police will come.

I read a news story which was sad a Pit Bull escaped out of the norm bit one dog and started a fight (through a fence) with couple dogs (I think 2 other Pit Bulls) and the police ended up shooting the dog. Even though no bad damage was done to the 2 other dogs and they probably could have easily grabbed this dog and stopped it, he was shot dead. The whole article was focused on police shooting dogs in that area (not just PBs but other dogs too) and that you better hope AC comes when someone calls on a loose dog. But I can't help to think that as hard as it is for the owners to loose their dog, who didn't show dog aggression before and was otherwise a friendly dog, it is their fault for leaving him unsupervised in the fence which he escaped. Mistakes can happen even with responsible owners but I think owners need to try and be more dilegent. Especially in an enrivonment where their are lots of other people/dogs around, even if they have a friendly dog or believe they have one it still shouldn't be loose.

Check Them Out

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Unless you were there, it's really hard to say what you would have done. You can never really tell what happened just from a news story. When I worked for the Zoo, I worked with reporters dozens of times. I NEVER saw a story without at least one or two errors. Most times they were unintentional, but I do think that some were deliberate to make the story more "newsworthy".

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh one thing I was thinking before and forgot to say.

Nerve damage! It would be painful enough getting attacked like that, but we can't forget that nerve damage is possible even if its a small dog. Which means continued pain and pains that come and go, numbness and tingly feeling and loss of some feeling. It says he is doing therapy, if true that is likely why. I know some people not severally bitten but bitten to enough degree on the hand/wrist area to cause nerve damage, some permanent.

If this dog had not been shot by police, depending on the law there it might have been PTS anyway. Each place has different laws though.

A dog like that, which will tenaciously attack a human and without proper containment is an accident waiting to happen. If the dog would have been returned unharmed it would possibly attack and attack again. If the dog attacked the same to a small child it could be more tragic.

Check Them Out

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM

I'll be honest if it had been my child attacked by the dog and the only way to get it to release would be to shoot it, I'd have done it and not looked back. I'd feel bad for having to shoot the dog but if it were the only option I'd have no regrets.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Police

I can see how they would have no choice but to do that, but i honestly don't think that I could have.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Unless you were there, it's really hard to say what you would have done. You can never really tell what happened just from a news story. When I worked for the Zoo, I worked with reporters dozens of times. I NEVER saw a story without at least one or two errors. Most times they were unintentional, but I do think that some were deliberate to make the story more "newsworthy".

Bob
Agreed, my dad worked as a police officer for 30 years and would often point out the inaccuracies of the news papers reporting of police business. One time he stopped a fleeing suspect by kicking open his car door and the man ran in to it. The news paper said that the police dogs got the suspect. That's definitely a different version of the story.

One thing to consider is that our hands are complex and easily damaged by sharp things (teeth). He could have a permanently damaged hand.

Another thing that needs to be considered is why the dog was loose. He could have been easily hit by a car or something else. This highlights why it is so important to keep your pets contained inside and have good fences. Any dog can be scared and aggressive given the right situation.

Quote:
The dog was holding on so tight he left one of his teeth in the officer's hands.
Yikes! I feel bad for the dog because he must have been very scared, but that's some serious biting. I'm going to give the police officer the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he didn't want to hurt anyone and a small dog doesn't seem to be a threat. This is why I agree with Caesar Millan when he says that little dogs need to have aggressive behaviors addressed just as much as big dogs. Little dogs often get away with more because their bad behaviors are "cute".

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I don't think I can actually comment on this because, just reading it, I'm thinking, no, I couldn't have done that and it was wrong, but if I was the policeman being biten, and we'd already tried everything possibe to contain the dog, than it's likely i'd do the same as him.I do however, think that leaving the dog like that for the family to come home and find, was wrong of them to do.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
I don't think I can actually comment on this because, just reading it, I'm thinking, no, I couldn't have done that and it was wrong, but if I was the policeman being biten, and we'd already tried everything possibe to contain the dog, than it's likely i'd do the same as him.I do however, think that leaving the dog like that for the family to come home and find, was wrong of them to do.
Who does that?? Leave a dead dog for the family to come home to?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM

The police did not leave the dead dog. They left a note on the door telling the family to call the police about the dog.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

It is really the owners fault that the poor little dog suffered. And I feel too the police didn't handle the situation well, using a coat or any clothe they can grab that little dog and wait for SPCA.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Well this is just another case of an owners stupidity. And as usual the animal suffers and it leads to its tragic death. A lot of people knows how i am with animals and always asks me these questions when they see them on the news, "would you of killed the dog if it was mauling you?" and over, and over again i always say the same answer. NO, i could not kill any kind of creature if it was attacking me, i could not live with myself knowing i took its life. Yes the policeman reacted in a way his senses told him to, but in my mind he could of tried even hitting the dog off of him, maybe as another poster said ^ covering it up with a jacket or coat? Yes jackrussells do have a very STRONG and determined grip but i still feel that the officers dealt with it the wrong way. Just because the officers have the gun and weapons available doesn't mean they should use them right away.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."

Tags
sick police