Would you put your dog on drugs to fix a problem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Would you put your dog on a prescription drug to solve a behavioral problem?
Yes, whatever will help 3 20.00%
Perhaps, I like options & second opinions 9 60.00%
No, we need to stop prescribing drugs for everything 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Would you put your dog on drugs to fix a problem?

I'm reading a book about some extreme dog (and cat) cases. Dogs with OCD, dogs who are overly aggressive, etc. Quite often, the veterinarian in charge prescribed drugs. Things like Ritalin, Paxil, etc. Would you consent to having your dog put on ritalin, paxil, or some other prescription drug if your vet recommended it to [help] solve a problem? (Problems such as aggressiveness, dominance issues, anxiety, etc.)

Last edited by Tilt; 06-29-2004 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would. I have an aggressive dog who has bit me a few times and left scars. He won't let me sit on the couch or anything without going after me.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't trust a drug to control aggressiveness or dominance in a dog...for those, no. Anxiety, maybe if holistic medications don't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM

No I sure wouldn't. If one of my dogs bit unprevoked we would have a huge problem in our house.

I don't believe medication is the solution to everything. More and more kids are put on meds because teachers or parents can't deal with them. Now it seems like owners choose that route instead of trying behavioral modification first because its more convienent.

What happened to the good ole days when we just learned to deal with things.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would really like to say no as I won't take any medicine (pain pills, or any kind of drugs) but when I can't even sit down without being bit at it's a bit crazy.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmm interesting one. Well, I had to answer yes only because we had to give Kahlua dog prozac before! Not for aggression or anything like that, but b.c he was sooo depressed after he got fixed, and a recheck showed nothing else was wrong at all. My vet suggested the medicine for 1 week and a week later, he was fine.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

For me, it would depend on what the problem is and what the vet thinks will help. There are other things to consider as well. Plus I am also the type to not take meds for anything, unless it's serious. I would not deny my dog medication it needed but, at the same time, I think there are still other options. I would want second opinions. Then decide what is best.

I also agree with Chrisanne. We're blaming every problem on "chemical imbalances," and throwing bottles of drugs at people. This mentality is spreading over to dog ownership as well.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:46 AM

I think it would depend on a few different things. I'd probably in general rather not do medications/drugs if it can be avoided, but of course there will be cases that it can't really be avoided.

Firstly, it would probably depend on the situation/what the problem is. If it were a condition, like I said above, that could potentially be treated some other way, then I'd totally go for the other way. And I'd be wary of giving any medications, so would probably want some sort of second opinion.

It would probably also depend on side effects of the drug, etc... as in if it would do more damage than help. Also would depend on teh breed, etc... like if the breed I owned was predisposed to get a certain illness or something, I probably wouldn't want to use a medication that made the dog/other animal at higher risk for that illness. If that makes any sense

Chrisanne brings up a good point too... that just using medication for EVERYTHING isn't really a good idea.

And what Mandie said kinda makes sense too. I'm nto sure it's totally wise to juts medicate an overly aggressive dog and totally trust the medicine... things can go wrong and something could happen.

Overall, I would if I needed to, and if there wasn't a "better" way, but I'd probably consider it a good bit before putting my dog on meds.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I don't think I could ever put an animal on medication for problems I believe can be solved other ways.

Not that she's a dog, but my cat Gerona eats wool. I'm not 100% sure of the reason why, but honestly I think it is from separation anxiety from me (I raised her since she was a week old). One vet I took her too suggested Prozac to maybe help get rid of the problem. I refused. Of course, the problem is still there, somewhat, but she can't get to any wool now because we make sure ALL of it is locked away. (She has a blanket she suckles on, and I let her since it makes her happy and she doesn't eat it like she did the wool.)

On a similar note, someone should make a poll about how many people think pets are OVER vaccinated (this is coming up more and more often lately).

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well I have put a dog on valium or something before for aggression...nervous aggression....it didn't help him any more than his natural medicines were doing so I stopped the valium. He was also getting training etc. (which I know you are doing brittany) but if my vet told me to put them on prozac and that it would be okay I'd going to be a different vet! I'll answer yes cause I've done it but I wouldn't do it again!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:02 AM

For a while there, Nicki was basically on steriods full time. Now that I'm home full time, I weened her off them because I'm home and can watch her behavior and she'll stop when I tell her to. She obsesively licks her leg. Its permanently got a ton of lick granulomas (sp?). On the steroids, she didn't lick as much (but man did she pee!)

We needed to do that for her to keep from licking while we were at work. The Elizabethan collar was too much for her and us. She lived for 6 months straight with it once and it broke my heart. She bumped into everything and was so unhappy. I chose the steroids over the collar. She's STILL afraid of the collar... when she starts licking, I say "No lick" but if she ignores me, I'll say "No lick" again, and if she still ignores me, then I say "Do you want me to get your hood?" And the ears go flat, the shoulders sag and the leg gets put as far away from the mouth as possible!

We also give her Benedryl every day for allergy season to help with her itchies and allergies. Por pup. I do this to help her much the way I take my allergy tabs daily.

We *think* her licking stems from allergies. But it could also be an obsessive thing for her too. we're not sure. We do know she has a myriad of allergies, but we do what we can for her. If the doctor said that I could dose her with Prozac daily and she'd never lick again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Her leg is always tender and you cannot go near it without her showing teeth. It sometimes get VERY infected, which means a series of antibiotics twice a day for 14 days, or longer. The infection hasn't gotten bad since I've been home fulltime, but thats not the point. The point is that she has the propensity to get infections and lick lick lick all day long. If I could find the way to stop her through a pill everyday, I would.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:04 PM

In general, I wouldn't want to give my dogs meds unless there weren't any other options.

Some exceptions... I used to give my GSD, Bach, some benedryl because of his allergies. It was a great help and enabled him to live his doggie life without scratching every 2 mins. Towards the end of his life we were also giving him Glucosamine because he had arthritis in his hips. This didn't "solve" his condition but it did help him live a more comfortable life. I see nothing wrong with giving something like Glucosamine or something similar.

I do agree that people & pets are over medicated. But there are always situations where meds may be necessary. So, I won't say that I'll never give my pets meds. I will explore all other options first though. And I also agree that some behaviors that people medicate for can be controlled by behavior training!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:20 PM

I voted for options and second opinions. I don't know very much about using meds for behavioral issues because when we had an aggressive dog, I was too little to understand that stuff. She had major problem with attacking if you didn't give her what she wanted. She tore my lip open because I wouldn't give her the piece of cheese that I was eating and I still have the scar. She also pushed my little sister facedown on the ground when they were playing frisbee and started trying to bite her face! She also bit other people and had to go into quarantine because they called Animal Control. My mom couldn't deal with her kids getting attacked, and she found her a knew home. I really don't think that medication, or anything for that matter would have helped her. I'm always open to knew things though and if it was something that would really help, I might try it.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 06-30-2004 at 12:23 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnapper
We also give her Benedryl every day for allergy season to help with her itchies and allergies. Por pup. I do this to help her much the way I take my allergy tabs daily.
I'm so sorry to hear about that, catnapper. Have you tried giving Nicki one of those (Aveno) oatmeal baths--the kind that is recommended for people with chicken pox and such. If she itches, it may help temporarily soothe it. I did this for my yorkie once when he had some sort of skin rash and it helped him to feel a little better afterwards. Then again, you may have tried this or it may not help at all. Nevertheless, I felt like sharing just in case it might help.

Good luck with Nicki, it's good she has a family that cares about her so much.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I'm so sorry to hear about that, catnapper. Have you tried giving Nicki one of those (Aveno) oatmeal baths--the kind that is recommended for people with chicken pox and such. If she itches, it may help temporarily soothe it.
FONT]
Thanks pihlaja! We have given her every brand oatmeal bath out there! I've even tried the prescription ones from the vet. The only thing that happens is that she gets incredibly soft and fluffy! She still itches like mad. I just don't know what to do for her. In early spring, all you have to do is slightly touch her back and she scrintches up as if you've just offered some major good itching. I remember once having an allergic reaction to something I ate like that... all someone had to do was touch me and I jumped. I really do feel bad for her---- what can we do? She's my baby and I'd do ANYTHING to alleviate the itchiness she has.

Tags
animal control, dog owners