yes or no? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Question yes or no?

I have a 13 week old beagle but im dieing for a Chihuahua now. Im not really sure why even when I have a puppy already. anyways . would it be better to get my now puppy totally housew broken before I get another one?
Would my beagle hurt another puppy so small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Yes, it's best to wait until one is completely house broken before bringing another puppy home, IMO.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

IMO it is up to you really..... We had brought home both our rotties and had to housebreak them, and the 2 at once was quite hard, not to mention it had it's very difficult moments. Beau & Ajax were also young pups (6 wks.) when we began to foster them and that too was a challenge in itself. Yes it was great having 2 as they kept themselves entertained and the older dog's weren't bothered, but the housebreaking was alot harder with 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I would wait until the beagle is a little older. I think it's easier to house break one at a time, plus I think it would be easier to train one at a time. Ultimately it's your decision.

Rhonda

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am with Kim. It is your call, but it is very hard to housebreak two at once. I've been there done that and won't do it again that's for sure.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Proud New Mommy

It is very hard to try and housebreak two dogs at once. Specially small dog, IMO. We have a pug that was just finally housebroken when someone called us and asked if we could take their dog that wasn't housebroken. Sure enough, the pug went straight back to his old habbits. It was SOOOOO hard.

If you have the time, though- it may be a lot easier.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with everyone else...one's difficult, two's a chore...we tried to do 13 at one point and if Kali wasn't so anal about puppies going in the house to the point she'd pick them up and run them out the dog door, I would have gone insane! From personal experience, I would suggest you wait until your beagle pup is older, housebroken and obedience trained...trying to keep the attention of two pups while they are easily distracted by each other is often times a losing battle...you may win eventually, but why make it harder on yourself?

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I ended up raising my pup and my sister's pup. I trained them myself. It's really not easy raising and training two pups by yourself. I would suggest waiting, but again, it's really up to you. If you are prepared for and want a challenge, go for it. I don't think it's a bad idea, it's just more time consuming and more work. Good luck with your pup(s)

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Hello thanks for all the replys. I decided to go ahead and try it and get chi. I got him tonight. he is so adorable. I am going to try and littler train him. I hope I dont regret my decision.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Good luck and don't forget to post pics!

Rhonda

Tags
older dog