You'll Never Guess!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

You'll Never Guess!!

well......guess what happened on the way to my apt this morning? i found a dog! lemme explain...

so i'm driving home and i see this little black thing running in a zig-zag pattern in the middle of the street. i thought for a sec it was a cat...but cats don't do that. it's a dog. i pull over, after following it for a little bit, and call it. it comes running over and i eventually get him (it's a boy) in my lap. he seems kinda malnourished and has no id, not even a collar! so i call the ER vet (only ones open) and ask to bring him in to see if he's chipped. i bring him and he isn't chipped. i find out info on him (guessed from vet):
he's about 4 mo.
he's a miniture pinscher (sp?)
seems healthy, just a little malnourished

his tail is docked, so we know he was owned, etc. so i ask what i should do because: i don't really want to give him back to the owner...how great are they if he has NO id? i mean, i understand that dogs escape. there are accidents. but this dog needed id! a collar! something! she and my vet (over the phone) said that i should just hang on to him and ck in every day to see if someone is missing a dog, but to not advertise for him to be found. i fought with this decision for a while...but i think that i could do better for him then these people could. what do you guys think?

they also said that since he is probably in good health that i can bring him home, but to keep him isolated. i'll bring him for his shots monday. but they said he looks good!

sooooooo.............basically...i think i just got a 3rd dog. i should've known this would happen! haha! i'll keep you updated.

i'm going to try and attach a pic i took with my camera phone in a reply. lemme know what you think!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm going to try and put the pic now....lemme see if i can link it from sprint.the dog i found

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

it works!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww! He sure is cute! Well, I hope it works out for you and him. It was very kind of you to take him to the vet like that and help him out! Have you introduced him to Penny and Chaqutia? I know it's not the best idea with a doggie who you don't know the full health/vaccination status of but I know it can be difficult to keep dogs apart sometimes.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

What a cutie!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

OMG he is ADORABLE!

I hope everything works out for you guys!

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks guys!!!!!!!!! i hope so, too! sorry the pic is crappy, but it IS a phone. haha! i haven't introduced them. i hadn't been to bed last night (was on my way home to do so) and so i dropped him off at my friend jim's and came home and fell alseep. it's 2pm now. i am going to go to petsmart to get him a harness cause he HATES the collar like penny does. then i'll go ck on him. when i left him earlier i fed him and gave him water. i also put down a pile of towels for a bed (room is carpeted anyways). he ate ALL the food and wanted more! so i gave him a little more. i didn't want to overdo it. i'll update you soon!

thanks again guys!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwwwwwww! I see him! He is so cute, Jane!!! I'm so glad you stopped and decided to take him!! You have such a kind heart!! Looks like you have a 3rd doggie, girl!!!!!!! Let us know how everything turns out at the vet on Monday, too!!! He is a cutie!!!!! Any idea for a name?

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww! He's cute!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 02:57 PM

Just keep in mind that you don't know why or how the dog got out and that if you keep the dog and don't try to find the owners that is considered theft. If the owner finds out about you it may be possible for them to press criminal charges. I do believe there is a time limit but you should check Petfinders classified listings for your area, call your local police department to see if anyone has lost the dog and contact your local dog pounds to see if anyone has called to see if their dog has been picked up.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 03:06 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Just keep in mind that you don't know why or how the dog got out and that if you keep the dog and don't try to find the owners that is considered theft. If the owner finds out about you it may be possible for them to press criminal charges. I do believe there is a time limit but you should check Petfinders classified listings for your area, call your local police department to see if anyone has lost the dog and contact your local dog pounds to see if anyone has called to see if their dog has been picked up.
I was just getting ready to suggest this. I'd definitely try to find the owner if you can...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yep, I would try to find the owner. I was washing my dog's collar and she decided to leave the yard that day (which she has NEVER done before). I would've been pretty upset if I knew someone kept her without trying to find me first. I was lucky and she came back within 2 hours. The whole time I was frantically searching for her and very worried. I don't wish that feeling on anyone!

Rhonda

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Miss New Booty

Very good points, Dena. You know firsthand girl, doing what you do. I got to thinking about it, too, after I posted, as much as I know you already love this little guy, looking for the owner is top priority, too. I have never been in a situation of this kind, so I don't know, but if it was me, I would definately check the local shelters, like Dena said, to see if anyone is missing a dog. It's really hard to say how/ why the doggie got out. I know you only want to do what is best for this little doggie, Jane.

~* Jackie *~

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for all the responses! i have every intention of calling all the vets and shelters. i will report it. the ER vet has me on file.

those are good points. i guess an accident could've happened. i'm just sooo synical! my friend jim said to take some pics with the digi camera and make flyers or something.

and there is an update - i am so swamped right now w/everything. and jim has been wanting a dog.....so if we keep him, he'll be jim's doggie! if jim can't take him for any reason, i will.

but we'll try and find the owners. i'll call the vets and shelters to get put on file and post some pics around town.

thanks for all the help guys!

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Great Jane! And if you can't find the owners (which if he is so malnourished then they probably won't be overly concerned) then for Jim for getting his dog!! It's very nice of you to pick the dog up too!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
local shelter, puppy food, pure bred