Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  NickBulka 
#1 ·
Just wondering what is everyone's breed? I mean as in ideal breed?And why?

Mine is the greyhound.I fell in love with the breed years ago when I was maybe 15 and learning the different breeds.I then learned about the plight of the racing greyhound.About 5 yrs ago I got involved with the local greyhound rescue.There I met Patt (along with many other greyt people),we became greyt friends!She had 3hounds,Eli,Chelsea and Darcy.I went down everyday to take care of the dogs and I took them everywhere I went!I became co-owner of them.It was greyt and I loved it!They were my babies and came everywhere.Well Eli and Chelsea had to be euthanized due to dreadful bone cancer.Eli was only 8 and my girl,Chelsea was 10.I still went down to take my boy,Darcy out and spend time with him and Patt.Even when I was pregnant,I went everyday and even took him out in rain,as Patt couldn't due to health problems.Once I had my daughter (who I made Patt the grandmother of),things changed and I could only take care of him sometimes and could only visit sometimes...it was sad.Then only a few months ago,Patt was lost to cancer...:( And poor Darcy is now with the representive for the NL branch of GPAC...I want him so bad,but she has fell in love with him too.I should of signed adoption papers,since I had co-ownership of him.I still get to see him and I love it,I just wish it was old times...or he was living with me.

I started rambling...sorry! lol...but anyway I know the greyhound is my ideal breed from working with them and having part ownership.They have all of the qualities I want in a dog/companion.

I love beagles too...but the breed I will own once I move is the greyhound.I will still foster beagles,but the greyhound holds a special place in my heart!

See less See more
#2 ·
Great Danes! All the way. I have one, planning on another in 4 or 5 mos. I will show my second, and possibly breed somewhere down the line. I just love the breed. My aunt bred Great Danes when I was growing up, and there's just something about a 150 lb dog who thinks he's a lapdog. :) They're such sweet great big babies!

#3 ·
Mel said:
Great Danes! All the way. I have one, planning on another in 4 or 5 mos. I will show my second, and possibly breed somewhere down the line. I just love the breed. My aunt bred Great Danes when I was growing up, and there's just something about a 150 lb dog who thinks he's a lapdog. :) They're such sweet great big babies!
Couldn't have said it better :) I've had two (currently have one, one passed away several years ago) and they're just the greatest dogs. I have to hesitate because I almost say "greatest little dogs." Obviously they aren't little by any means but I think they missed that memo because every Dane I've met seems completely oblivious to their size. My Dane tries to sit on me all the time. She's seriously the sweetest dog ever and everyone falls in love with her. I just really love Great Danes :)

#6 ·
:lovies: Of course, my Favorite is Maltese-Poodle cross. My Elvis Lee is a Maltipoo. He is smart, funny, adorable, loving & the best companion ever. My family & I do not have an allergic reaction to him.

I love all dogs but especially little ones & giant ones. Besides Maltipoos, I like most poodle mixes, I love Yorkies, JRTs, Maltese, MinPins, Manchester Terriers, tiny Boston Terriers and Poms. Big big dogs I like are English Mastiff, Great Danes & Great Pyreneese. I also like Dobies & Rotties.

#7 ·
We just got my ideal breed: collie. I still adore corgis, but most of the time I wish Ein was more cuddly and less independent and grumpy. I think I will always have a collie and a corgi.

#8 ·
DorkyChantelle said:
Couldn't have said it better :) I've had two (currently have one, one passed away several years ago) and they're just the greatest dogs. I have to hesitate because I almost say "greatest little dogs." Obviously they aren't little by any means but I think they missed that memo because every Dane I've met seems completely oblivious to their size. My Dane tries to sit on me all the time. She's seriously the sweetest dog ever and everyone falls in love with her. I just really love Great Danes :)
Oh no! You mean Stella won't figure out that she's gotten bigger than she was at 3 wks? :crylaugh: She's having trouble understanding why my lap has shrunk! Of course, she's still afraid of medium sized dogs...dogs smaller than she is now! (At 4.5 mos & 50+lbs)

#10 ·
I like mutts. That is all I have had, but German Shepherds are great dogs too. I had one when I was younger and she was a sweet heart. I have a mix Pit Bull and she is great too. Okay so I haven't had all mutts but the mutts I have had have been great dogs.

#11 ·
Mel said:
Oh no! You mean Stella won't figure out that she's gotten bigger than she was at 3 wks? :crylaugh: She's having trouble understanding why my lap has shrunk! Of course, she's still afraid of medium sized dogs...dogs smaller than she is now! (At 4.5 mos & 50+lbs)
Haha, my dog never grew out of the "but I'm just a puppy, why can't I sit on your lap?" phase. She's also afraid of dogs smaller than her because she's been attacked by one. Here she is (a big, "tough" dog) and a really small dog came up and took a chunk out of her leg. All she did was slink back to me with her tail between her legs. Danes are really gentle giants (at least all the ones I've ever met).

#13 ·
Dachshunds! They seem to be the opposite of the Great Dane - they think they are big dogs. My Frankie used to run with the big dogs in puppy class. It was funny b/c when we all started they seemed to be around the same size. When we left about a year later there were HUGE differences. But Frankie never noticed. I am sad that he is such a grumpy old man now with other dogs. He was the coolest puppy ever. Would run and play with Shepards and Rodesian (sp?) Ridgebacks.
He is smart too. I swear he understands every word I say. He was sp sharp in class. Listened very well. Not anymore. You have to practice all the time or they get lax. I could get him back up to speed in a short while though - they never forget they just get lazy.

#15 ·
well I have no special breed, I love them all, I always fall for the mutts :) Puppers (austtalian shephard) is pretty perfect though lol...he plays all the time, goes where ever we go, loves camping and is amazing with kids...but for us any dog that fits in to the family is our perfect breed...I guess I need to study the breeds to see what would be my favorite lol

#17 ·
any cold nose and doggy kiss will get me. we have a beagle that we have had so many issues with and i still just melt when i see one.

#18 ·
another Greyhound person here, had 2 now and i love them, very majestic but very friendly.

Mollie my first one got to a good age, she was just short of her 13th Birthday but i sadly had to have her put to sleep in February this year, i have had Jack for a month now and love him dearly, i will post pics of him soon.

my Mum had Yorkshire Terriers when i was growing up so i like them as a breed too.

bye

#19 ·
My fave breed would have to be Jack Russell Terriers.

While fun to have, they pose quite a challenge to train, but when trained properly, can be the most loyal, loving dogs one could have!!

#23 ·
Shih tzus. They're small, they're smart, and they aren't at all noisy (at least, mine aren't). Plus they look great whether you have their hair cut short or grown out long. I don't think I need much more of an explanation, hehe.

#25 ·
I have a labrador, so i guess I'll always have a thing for them, jet being my first dog and all. But I think clumber spaniels are the cutest thing on four legs and if I get another dog I'd go the ends of the earth to find one (they're not such a popular breed).

#26 ·
Carissa said:
I LOVE BASSET HOUNDS.....I love the ears...I have a animal ear fetish hehe.. But I never had a basset hound, they coast to much, I currently have a Pomerainian, wolf hybrid, and a pitbull(the love of my life)
I love bassets too...I laughed when you said you had an animal ear fetish,because my youngest sister has an animal nose fetish!Everytime she sees an animal,it doesn't matter what it is,she likes to "beep" their nose!She does it to the dog,random cats outside,my rats...etc!It is funny!When we were younger,we had a cat that kept getting pregnant and having kittens (before I was aware of overpopulation and whatnot) and Sandra would always name a kitten "Nosey"...:crylaugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.