Your dog breeds! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Your dog breeds!

Just curious as to why or how you all chose your favorite dog breeds or the breeds you own!?

Well my heart breed is the greyhound,as many of you know!
I fell in love with the greyhound breed several yrs ago and in 2001 I met my first greyhound and thats when I got involved with Greyhound Pets of Atlantic Canada (GPAC).I been hooked since.They are everything I want in a dog! Not to mention beautiful!

I used to have co-ownership of 3 beautiful greyhounds.Sadly one died months after I befriended the owner,so I didn't really bond with him.The other two I bonded with.Chelsea was my best friend ever.She came EVERYWHERE with me! She was my heart and soul.She passed away at the age of 10 in 2003 and a huge part of me is missing.I miss her sooo much! I have a greyhound tattoo on my ankle in memory of her.The other hound was Darcy and he was my boy! Unfortunatly he passed in November 2007.I miss them so much.

And I am happy to say I am probably going to be adopting my greyhound this yr!!!! I am super excited.After many yrs of fostering and looking after dogs,I am ready to adopt and of course my breed is the greyhound and thats what I am adopting.

I foster alot of beagles,but honestly they are not the breed for me.Not for a full time pet.They are cute and I enjoy fostering,but realistically they are not the breed for me.If that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So here are some old pics of my loves!
Sorry for the quality...I had to take pictures of the pics,since I didn't have a computer at the time.And I have no scanner.I have so many pics,so I just chose a few.These pics were from 2002/2003.I look so young here!

This is my heart dog,Chelsea.She was my bestest friend and I miss her sooo much!

Me with Chelsea and Darcy...the beagle is Julie (also passed away)

Me with Darcy and Eli

Sadly all these dogs are at the bridge now!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have 4 dogs. Puppers wasn't so much chosen as he needed us...he was my brothers but when David was diagnosed with terminal cancer he decided that Pup needed a new home right then so he could bond with someone and David felt I was the person who could help pup the most...so I took him and never looked back...hes an Aussie from the shelter.

Lady is a cocker/poodle mix and she was a drive by decision...we were driving and saw a sign for free dogs...since most of these end up in bad situations we tend to go get them and rehome them the right way...well when we got there the Lady opened her door and Lady came running out, she was all ears and tripping all over the place, she jumped in the car and we were like ok then bye lol

Lady and Leia are Golden Retrievers...they were planned and researched...I love goldens so much, they are so beautiful and fun...we looked for sanctuaries and at the shelters...a Golden retriever sanctuary had some pure breeds rescued that were pregnant (the daddies were pure as well) and so we went to get 1 and fell in love with 2 so that was that lol...we have their papers and all that, but truely it doesn't matter to me, they are my babies

my favorite breed is ummm I don't honestly know lol...I am just sort of an all around dog lover...my best friend Petrie, was a mutt...her mommy was a poodle and the dad was the local mutt lol...when my friends pure breed poodle got pregnant (we were kids) she said I could have one...I was there when she was born...she was all white and the runt....she had a horrible under bite that I loved...we were inseperable for 19 years. I lost her 2 years ago and I still call out her name or wake up feeling like shes there...so I guess my favorite breed is a mutt...I just love them all lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Well, Phoenix is 3/4 Doberman and 1/4 german sheppard. My husband always wanted a doberman so we did our research on them and then saw an ad in the paper one day and decided to go take a look at them. They had a black/tan and a brown one, 4 month old sisters. We choose the black/tan one, obviously, lol. I never gave it any thought as to owning a doberman, but I always wanted a big dog and breed doesn't really much matter to me so I figured why not.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i love dogs, all dogs, but my heart goes to rotties all the way. when i was ten my dad took a screaming rotty pup, 4 months old, form some jerk lady's apartment. she was abusing it terribly and we could hear it downstairs. so he just knocked on the door, took her, and she never stopped him. that's how we got roxanne. we spent many months with her laying on the floor, trying to get her to trust us. one day she rolled over and let us pat her belly and it was golden after that. she always had emotional scars, we couldn't hug her unless we were lying down, and we couldn't reprimand her without her running upstairs to hide. a stern "no" was all she needed, but then we'd give her pats and a cookie (milkbone) and she'd relax. when my sis was born we were worried she'd get intimidated and maybe do bad things like growl at the baby. well quite the contrary. this hundred pound rotty that refused to be hugged, let that baby pull on her, crawl on her, even learn to walk by holding onto roxanne's bum. things WE couldn't do, she let the baby do. when baby was on the floor playing, roxanne would lie there to protect her. if baby got up to move, roxanne went with her. she'd lie right behind her when she was learning to sit up, so if she fell back she'd land on dog lol. to this day we're all in awe of what this dog became. sadly after she blew cruciates in both back legs we had to put her down. god bless that dog, the most amazing thing i've ever seen.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I have a lot of breeds i like, and would love to own, but the retrivers must be the ones I like the most

My parets has a flatcoated retriver now, but I think a golden would be a better choise for me. Even thoug I think the flatcoated retriver is one of the most buitiful dogs out there.
I like dogs with long fur, and because of this, I would never consider a labrador - eaven though they are very sweet dogs

I love the Great Dane and the Irish Wolfhound, but I don't like the fact that they die when they are relativly young, compared to other breeds.

One dog I can't have, but would very muck like to get (I'm not active enougt) it woild be the husky.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I have a labrador! I had a lab x newfoundland growing up and she was a gorgeous and well mannered dog! I also had an alsation and a cross breed mut lol. My lab is a pain but i love her to bits but my heart lies with Staffordshire Bull Terriers i love them sooooooo much!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

German Shepherd's own my heart. I have never had a better dog then my Orion.

Others that I am extremely attached to: Beauceron, Newfoundland, Anatolian Shepherd, Caucasian Ovcharka, and of course, Pit Bulls.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Huskies! Samoyed Huskies are my favorite. Its the first breed of dog i had ever owned. She died a few weeks ago at the age of 16. German Shepherds are at a tie with huskies though. Beautiful and LOYAL breed. I have had MANY german shepherd rescues!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

My favorite kind of dogs are papillions

They are small and cute, but also hardy and athletic, and most of them have great personalities. I like small dogs, but a lot of small dogs arn't very athletic. I love to be outside and go hiking, so I would want a dog that could handle all that activity.

When I move next Dec., Chris and I will finally be able to get our own dogs! I'm so excited I've already started buying toys and such for them (we want to get 2, so they can keep each other company while we're both working). We decided that instead of looking for breeders, we're just going to go to the shelter and get them - so they'll probably be mutts. I've seen so many cute dogs in shelters, with great personalities. I really do love all dogs. But if I had to pick one breed, it would be papillions.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Just thought I would bump this thread up,since there are alot of new members!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 PM

My favourite breed has to be the boxer. They have such lovable characters and are just amazing family dogs. We used to have one called Cindy. She was beautiful (white except for a brown patch on her left eye), was great with kids, was very active and just had a great personality.

I also love Great Danes, Irish wolfhounds and alaskan malamutes. I am a big dog fan really.
But I've ended up with a little mutt which I love to pieces. I just LOVE dogs ^^
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

Greyhounds are great.

American Pit Bull Terriers isn't even a choice for me, it is just a natural thing. I know them so well and love most everything about them. I will probably always have at least a couple.

Boerboel I had interest in the breed long before making the choice, large size, nice looks, temperament was a good fit for us. They can also be silly and make you laugh, acting so goofy sometimes although being so big. I like that they can be easy going, loving but still fairly defensive.

Cane Corso I picked due to having a somewhat similar temperament to an APBT or Boxer with their family. The silly goofy nature. I also like the size, the athletic ability in a larger dog, the temperament in the well bred ones, their beauty. I'd been around several before and when on the hunt for a breeder I visited several too. I still love meeting more of couse, comparing how they are so much alike in their personalities, yet different too of course.

Caucasian Ovcharka I love that they are excellent natural guard, very loyal, alert, affectionate in their own way. Not a high wired energy dog, calm and mellow unless they need to be active. Beautiful looks and big size.

Dutch Shepherd Brindle color of course attracts me but as well the agility, athletic ability, intelligence and love of work/sport. If I don't get another Belgian then I will probably go with a Dutchie.

Kangal Kopegi Again large size, athletic, nice looking down to their teeth and above all excellent livestock guardian. Also very alert and natural guard. I like their overall personality traits.

Check Them Out

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i have a few that i would love to have...

Great dane- love them they are so pretty
Old English Bulldog
french bulldog
standard poodle- grey

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Betta Bomb

Hmm, mutts defiinetly my fave. since i like difference and variety you can never have 2 mutts tha same!! but i do love breeds. my favorite breed is great dane and yorkshire terriers. i dont think it would be realistic for me to have a yorkie since they are all barkish and hyper but i think they are just TOO cute. i also like Newfoundlands and Greyhounds.
Mutts for me!

Tags
bull terrier, bull terriers, german shepherd, german shepherds, golden retriever, pit bull, pit bulls, staffordshire bull terrier