Advice :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Advice :(

I think Im going to follow through and rehome my babies. The maintenance is simply becoming too much for me and Im afriad the quality of their health may be affected due to my inability to keep up on it. Im so SAD about it, but whoever takes them must promise to keep me updated.
What I want to know is how to go about rehoming, since I havent done this before. Should I ask for money since if someone is serious enough for them to pay money they'll be in a good home? And then donate the money to a shelter or similar organization. Or should I not ask money and simply give away my babies with the tank and filter valued at a couple hundred dollars each?! Or should I contact the small animal rescue and fodter them iuntil someone wants to adopt them through the rescue?
This absolutly sucks, Im gonna miss them lil suckers, but I think its for the best. Thanks for any helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
is a little "special"

Awww, Im so sorry
I would definatly charge some money for them if I where you. If they are able (and serious enough) to pay a couple hundred for your turtles and supplies, then they should have the funds to cover vet bills and other expenses too.
If you give them away free, they could end up with some kid that doesnt fully understand the expenses of owning them. Well, thats how I see it anyway
They only pet Ive ever had to re-home was a ring neck parakeet I found in my neighbors yard, and we couldnt find its owners and couldnt take care of him ourselves, so I gave him to my friend that had 2 macaws that where put down from cancer. He has a great home now, and I felt alot better giving him to someone I knew had bird experience, and would take good care of him.
You definatly need to meet any potential owners of your turtles, and quiz them on their turtle knowledge. Make sure they know their stuff!
Good luck, and Im really sorry about your turtles <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks Jess I think I will evaluate the cost of the supplies and charge accordingly. A couple hundred?! yikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
is a little "special"

Well, I meant maybe $100-$200 LOL, not like $700 or something! Good luck finding them a new home

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree that you should ask for an adoption fee. What kind of turtles are these? If they're Red-Eared Sliders you'll probably have to ask for a smaller fee because they're so common (and therefore tons of people are rehoming them).

Craigslist might be a good place to try although you'll have to screen people carefully.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Yes, thanks. I posted on Kijiji but so far no one..Yes they are RES
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Ah I wish I lived closer, I would take them in a heartbeat. We're building an outdoor pond for our 5 RES's right now with their own fenced in area.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Aww, thanks