Anyone else worry loads about turtles? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 PM

If you get a fluorescent UVB, I recommend a Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 or a 7.0. However, for turtles I HIGHLY recommend a mercury vapor light. Its the only type of incandescent light that is able to produce UVB. Not only can it produce UVB, but its the only UVB light that also produces heat. However you need to get one at a pet store. Hardware store MVs are VERY different and won't work for your turtles. Also, only the self-ballasted MVs produce heat, so I'd get one of those. I recommend looking into MegaRay's newest line of self-ballasted lights. Also, check out this site:

http://reptileuv.tripod.com/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

They have a heat light .
It is like a lamp with a basking light bulb in it designed for snakes and things.
Like something you would use to hatch eggs.
I will get a uvb light though.
Need to get them some of those calcium turtles aswell
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:08 PM

HELp my turtle

HI I have a question and im wondering if any 1 can help me. I* have 3 turtles and 2 of them are aeting fine (they are red slitted turtles); however, one of them hasn't and will not eat anything for about 4 days. Also i think the one who isnt eating might have some sort of and eye infection due to inflemation. Can any 1 tell me what to do please???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Is it swimming lopsided at all?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 AM

I have a western box turtle who can be somewhat picky about his food. I have found a few things he loves. Cooked, shredded chicken, anything out of a can of veg-all mixed vegetables, dandelions, crickets (loves them), strawberry tops, and especially bananas. A trick I learned from his previous owner is to put a tad bit of banana with his other healthier stuff and mix it all together. Then, it all tastes like banana to him, but he gets the nutrients. He also likes romaine, turkey baby food, and collard greens. Good luck, and no you aren't crazy, just a very responsible pet owner.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:49 AM

ya but there is a problem. He does eat. For eg chicken which he loves but he wont eat anything else and im scared he isnt getting enough nutrients. He is also an aquatic turtle so i cant mix banana with his food becuase it will deteriate in the water

Tags
blood worms, box turtle, brine shrimp, collard greens, meal worms, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, responsible pet owner