Attack of the Algae - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Attack of the Algae

I have res turtles and the algea in their tanks is getting worse i don't know what else to do. I asked the pets people if i could get an algae eater but they said know(which i exspected)so does anyone have a tip on how to STOP THE MADDNESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:33 PM

How often do you change the water? Do you have a filter? Whats the temp and what size tank?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
How often do you change the water? Do you have a filter? Whats the temp and what size tank?
yes i have a filter the tank is a 20 gallon with 4 res turtles in there and i change the water ever 2 weeks and clean out the change every month, the temp is 75-80 no higher. There was only 3 turtles then got this new turtle from my cuz. Now i have taken out the last turtle and put her in a seperate tank. What do i need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:39 PM

Yikes, how big are each of the turtles?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
Yikes, how big are each of the turtles?
small medium LARGE....we are going to get a new tank.....is that the prob?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 PM

Yes, thats your problem. There should only be one turtle in a 30 gallon minimum and thats when they are still small. You are WAY overcrowded. I suggest you think about getting a MUCH bigger tank, probably at least a 125gallon or possibly building an outdoor pond for them. Also RES can be fairly territorial or picky about who they room with. Do you have any brothers or sisters? If you do think about being stuck in your bathtub 24/7 with them, doesn't sound good huh? Well basically your turtles are swimming in each others poo and having no where to go. I can't even begin to imagine how they all fit in there and are still alive. I hope you also have UVB light.

here is a link with some info about houseing.
http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Curmudgeon

What is your lighting equipment? Alga need lots of light, maybe you could refocus your lights or change the type of light, or the timing of the lights to reduce alga growth....

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

To tell you the truth i do and i do not appericate you being so rude! i asked a ? and you came at me like i were stupid i have had these turtles for 1 year and they are fine i will not be asking you for anymore info! maybe my family dont have the money for four 125 gallon tanks...and i looked at ur profile you don't even own res turtles!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 PM

You asked a question and you got an answer, sorry if it wasn't the quick fix you were looking for. Your right, I don't own them because I know they are a lot to take care of. They get very big and need a POND not an aquarium. Its also illegal in Indiana to own them.

It just drives me crazy when people get pets and don't take proper care of them. If you can't afford the right type of housing, food, etc them maybe you shouldn't have the pet.

Last edited by Ambieruns10; 06-28-2006 at 07:22 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Herp Nerd

I do keep sliders, and I agree with Ambieruns10 - though at this point I don't think you necessarily need to go to something as large as a 125 gallon, but bigger is generally better. Eventually you will have no choice. Each slider turtle can get big enough to not be able to turn around in a 20 gallon. Most aquatic turtles are among the more expensive of reptiles to keep, between their large enclosures and their necessary UV lighting. Unfortunately, people aren't always going to tell you what you want to hear, but please don't take it as a personal attack. It is just someone trying to help.

As for the algae problem. Algae can sometimes just show up, but it usually doesn't get out of control unless there is a combination of excess lighting, excess waste, and not enough water flow. A good quality filtration should fix it (after a full clean out). I have had very good luck with Magnum hang on cannister filters for my turtle tanks, they're not that expensive compared to most filters, and break down for easy cleaning. Drip filters (like the ones with those biowheels) are usually inadequate unless you get one that is meant for a a lot more filtration than recommended for fish. Turtles are massive waste producers and need a correspondingly powerful filter.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
I do keep sliders, and I agree with Ambieruns10 - though at this point I don't think you necessarily need to go to something as large as a 125 gallon, but bigger is generally better. Eventually you will have no choice. Each slider turtle can get big enough to not be able to turn around in a 20 gallon. Most aquatic turtles are among the more expensive of reptiles to keep, between their large enclosures and their necessary UV lighting. Unfortunately, people aren't always going to tell you what you want to hear, but please don't take it as a personal attack. It is just someone trying to help.

As for the algae problem. Algae can sometimes just show up, but it usually doesn't get out of control unless there is a combination of excess lighting, excess waste, and not enough water flow. A good quality filtration should fix it (after a full clean out). I have had very good luck with Magnum hang on cannister filters for my turtle tanks, they're not that expensive compared to most filters, and break down for easy cleaning. Drip filters (like the ones with those biowheels) are usually inadequate unless you get one that is meant for a a lot more filtration than recommended for fish. Turtles are massive waste producers and need a correspondingly powerful filter.
Thank you, your answer to my question was much nicer.And i'm sorry if I was rude it's just only two of the turtles are really mine and with all the burdens it's getting to me. But i will try what you guys said and if that works thank you... again I'm sorry Ambieruns10.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I know how expensive the larger tanks can be. We just bought the set up last fall for out turtle. A vet suggested that we purchase a horse water bucket. A really big one that is like 100 gallons. This is also lighter than a glass aquarium. Or you could get rubber maid containers. They do need a light source so they can bask though. They sell the fixtures and they are not too expensive. Oscar lived for years with one full spectrum reptile bulb. You may need to have more than one. You can stack rocks for basking areas. Or get drift wood.
The most important thing is that you keep the water clean. You can either get a good filter possibly a canister filter or clean it really often. Even with the super duper filter we have I still need to clean the tank once a month. I love summer time b/c Oscar is out in the pond.
I love him but he is a lot of work -such a dirty little boy. He is loving life now. He has algae growing on his shell. He says he's a real turtle now!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
algae eater, bigger tank