Babies turtles form Myrtle Beach? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Babies turtles form Myrtle Beach?

Not too long ago, my boyfriend's old friend (ick) came up from visiting Myrtle Beach with 2 of the tiniest turtles I have ever seen. They were only a couple inches long, and were not at all afraid of humans . . .I never once saw them retreat into their shells. I don't know much about turtles, but they were the neatest little things I'd ever seen. Does anyone know what kind they might be (perhaps most commonly sold?) because I would love to have one. Baby turtles are illegal to sell in NC, not ot own ^-^ It's been about 2 months since she visited, so I couldn't really tell you what they looked like though. . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 03:40 AM

They were Red-Earred Sliders. A lot of stores sell them in Myrtle Beach. I know they are cute but I wouldn't recommend getting any.

First of all, it is illegal for those stores to sell the turtles. Any turtle under 4" in length is illegal to sell in connection with a business.

Secondly, the turtles coming from Myrtle Beach are never well taken care of. They are usually kept in unsuitable, cramped conditions without any access to a basking area or a water heater. They are usually kept too cold and many end up dying. They are mass-bred and sold as nothing other than a novelty under cruel, cruel conditions. Quite frankly, it makes me sick.

I have been to Myrtle Beach many times and tried to pursuade the owners of the stores to at least put lights over them but the owners don't care about anything but profit. The owners don't even care to tell the people who buy the turtles how to properly care for them. Those turtles need a lot more than a simple little plastic setup!! And they get huge -- if they survive their first year. Only less than 10% do.

If you really want a turtle you should get one from a rescue or a breeder outside of NC. But you should know that where ever you buy a RES from it isn't going to remain small and cute forever -- no matter what anyone tells you.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 08:28 AM

Great info. Elf!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I have never been to Myrtle Beach myself and i was unaware that they were in such poor condition. I assumed she got it at a regular pet store, not some novelty thing. I know turtles don't stay small and cute. Well I think they are cute reguardless. The main reason why I wanted a turtle is because they live so long (if properly cared for). I love reptiles and I just hate it when I have one for only a couple of years and then it dies (my poor Geico . .. ) The reason I wanted these turtles was not because they were so small, but because they were fearless. I've never seen turtles who weren't afraid of humans and just walked all over your hand like a lizard.

I apologize if you think I am one of those impulse pet owners. I research my pets thoroughly before I get them and I alway have everything they would need before the arrive. I have alot of pets but I take care of them very well and they are all healthly and loving.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I will look into finding a turtle elsewhere.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 08:04 PM

I agree with Elf...I've been to Myrtle several times, and they are all over those novelty stores along with hermit crabs and other small animals. These are NOT pet stores, they are nothing more than souvieniers (sp?) I usually don't buy anything in those places...(except a swimsuit once because the one I brought wasn't suited to the ocean...I lost my top! ) but those shops mostly sell junk...nothing is of any quality...screen printing wears off shirts in a matter of 2 washes, seams come apart, the animals are in poor condition, the piercing and jewelry isn't good quality...those stores just suck! All the owners care about is making profit off the souveigner junkies.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

That is such bull. People shouldn't be allowed to do that. Those poor animals! You know I wonder if Josh's friend's turtles are still alive. (I doubt it cause she's stuuuuupid)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:27 AM

Don't worry, I didn't think you knew how they were kept. I'm glad you asked before you went out and bought them though -- that is more than most people do!

It is sad because the people who own those stores will tell you a lot of things that are absolutely wrong about how to take care of them and a lot of people don't bother to do their own research because they trust the sellers.

We see a lot of those turtles here -- I'm less than 2 hours away from Myrtle Beach so a lot of people around here buy them and keep them for about a year before they realize that their turtles haven't stopped growing! Then they give them to us. That's how I've gotten most of my Sliders ... I'm up to over 10 "Myrtle Beach Castoffs".

I also like the idea of how long they live. You don't have to worry so much with having to lose them one day. More than likely, they'll lose you! RES typically live about 30 years though so I'll probably lose my current lot when I'm about 50! Tortoises live much longer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, thanks a ton! I love turtles. I have a bunch where I live and I'm constandly having to stop on the side of the road and carry them off to safty.

The funny thing is, I remember Josh's friend telling me how 'cool' the turtles were because they will only grow as big as the container they are in. Now i knew that was a load! I laugh at gulible people.

Tags
hermit crab, hermit crabs, pet owner, pet store, pet stores