Box Turtle - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Box Turtle

Help! I found a box turtle in my yard today. Long story short, its got a dog bite on its back-right leg. I know I'm not supposed to pull on the leg, but I wanted to see the damage done. I think I saw tendon or bone. The turtle has moved the leg a bit but for the most part has kept the leg inside the shell. I rinsed the leg in water and stuck a cottonball by the leg and taped up the leg will gauze so it wouldnt move it (to prevent further injury). I need to know, is there anything else I can do for this poor turtle? We dont have any local reptile vet clincs so any recommendations will have to be for a do-it-yourselfer. Should I be worried about infection and is there any way I can prevent that from happening? Also, what are the chances the leg will heal up normal if the turtle doesnt use it? I just hope the poor guy hasnt lost the use of his leg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Betta Bomb

all i can say is bring it somewhere with some sort of expertise...i wouldnt go near treatment for that myself,infection will likely approach sooner or later..we used to have no rep vet but the regular vet would take one in and do what they could b/c they have studied such incidents in similar animals and may be able to care for it.good luck and keep us posted,the turtle may go into shock though,as kids we had aturtle that got out of the backyard and a dog got it and then it drowned in the water and blood b/c its lungs must have been punctured,internal damages worry me,buddy,so get it checked out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I just checked on him now (almost 24hr later) the bleeding had stopped before I think, but he tipped over his little water dish and his leg started bleeding again. I dont know what to do! I've been trying to reach a vet but it doesnt look like any are open @ this time. I'll try and keep ya'll posted. As far as overall, the turtle seems to be doing alright, its just his leg thats messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM

this is sad..i wonder what happened after. I know this post is old.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Betta Bomb

Alot of people ,sadly, dont think reptiles need a vet and allow them to suffer till death.. I hope this wa not the case here.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well herps are pretty tough, perhaps she put some antibiotic cream on it and it healed up on its own, you can find many battle scars on turtles and other reptiles in the wild that had no one to take them to the vet. Crocs with 1/2 jaws, 3 legs, little tail, sea turtles missing arms, legs, and tails from sharks and boats, sea manetitees can be recognized by there scars as very few have none.

Not saying that herps don't need to go to the vet, but this wasn't her turtle maybe she didn't have money for a vet, and maybe no vet is around.

and if it was a wild turtle there may be no money to take it to the vet anyway and laws limiting what vets do for wild animals that aren't endangered are limited when no one is paying for it.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kendalle; 03-31-2009 at 05:59 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Betta Bomb

Well, manatees are often cut up by human driven boats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes they are, it is sad. I don't like it, and i don't know anyone that does, but no few get medical aid

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Just checked my inbox to see people still posting here. Thought Id give yall an update:

I didnt end up taking Him to the vet due to circumstances. FORTUNATELY, His leg started to heal up fine and he even started using it some! The swelling went down a LOT in his leg. It didnt heal quite right, so I think he lost the use of his "knee"? But the leg in whole was still functioning. Thank God it didnt get infected! I kept him around for awhile until I felt his leg was healed up well enough (minor scabbing) then I set him free again. Short of a battle-scar, I think hes living a long happy life in the outdoors now.