Desert Tortise - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Angry Desert Tortise

I own a desert tortise and everyone keeps saying they are endangered. Does anyone happen to know if this is true? Thanks alot! Much Luv.
CiCi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Princess in Waiting

CiCi - I don't kknow very much about turtle. Perhaps Lizgirl could give you some help. My other suggestion would be to go to Google and see what kind of info that can come up with!

Let us know when you come up with some info, so you can teach to rest of us! And pictures!! Everybody likes a pictures!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Herp Nerd

There are multiple species of 'desert' tortoises, which species do you have? If you're not sure I could try to identify it if you posted a couple clear pics.

Gopherus agassizii, or the California Desert Tortoise is federally protected - as of last time I read the statute I think the penalty for keeping one was a $50,000 fine and a year in jail. The Gopher Tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus) is also federally protected. Gopherus berlandieri, or the Texas Desert Tortoise is protected by Texas state law and has hefty fines for keeping it in captivity as well. I'm sure there are other species, but those are the only ones I can think of right off hand without doing any research.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Proud New Mommy

geez..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:35 PM

I hope Rav's information helps you identify your turtle. You can also contact your local health and wildlife services. I am sure that they would be willing to help you identify your turtle. I also hope he/she is not considered endangered. Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Lizgirl; 01-20-2004 at 03:40 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Herp Nerd

I wouldn't contact any state agency until you know what it is. If it is endangered, they will press charges immediately and give you no recourse. Last thing you want is fish & game beating down your door. If its not a native species, chances are they won't have a clue about it at all. There are several other species of tortoise considered 'desert' tortoises that aren't endangered - so I can't really say without seeing it myself. I'm just real wary, animal agencies are not kind at all to people who they consider to be harming endangered species. Intentional or not.

If you do determine that it is an endangered species, call your state wildlife office (fish & game, whatever it is called where you are) and ask for a licensed state wildlife rehabilitator that deals with the species. Then take it to them. It may be hard to give up a pet, but thats the only 'legal' method of turning over an endangered species.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Princess in Waiting

Thanks for the info, Rav. My brain was on the "Off" position; I forgot that my daughter has one of these that she bought in a pet store in KY! I admire the way all the information seems to pour out of you without any great deal of thought. You're an OK kid!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Romping Ratties

Fish and Wildlife currently offer permits to keep California Desert Tortoises (please spell it right) in captivity. There are many rescues in California that can help you obtain a permit or direct you in the right direction. If you have proof you bought your tortoise before they were determined endangered you do not need a permit. I own a California Desert Tortoise named Lucy who I adopted from the Joshua Tree Tortoise Rescue while living in 29 Palms California.

They give you "tags" in which you attach to the Tortoises shell in order to show that you have obtained a permit.

http://www.desertgold.com/tort/tort.html

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Romping Ratties

Please note too that it is unlawful and against the law to release a tortoise back into the wild once it has been in captivity.

Tags
endangered species, pet store