eastern painted turtle shell turning up - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I have a baby eastern painted turtle and was wondering if anyone knows what i can do about his shell turning up? It started doing this recently,and I try to make sure that he gets adequate nutrition,proper lighting ect.,but I just don't know what to do for this shell problem.It looks like it may be painful though he dosnt show any signs of it.Any info would be greatly appreicatedThank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:23 AM

Turtles require lots of calicum,if not given it can cause soft shell,also they need a place to get out of the water,and a very clean and spacious enviorement. To much lite is not good for them but they require heat unless you plan to hibernate him/her.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Herp Nerd

Almost every case of shell deformations is like shaggy said, from lack of calcium. Lack of calcium is not necessarily immediately attributable to diet though, but they should be fed a good variety of worms, insects, fish, turtle pellets like ones made by Reptomin, and so forth. Most problems I see are due to lack of UV lighting. The vitamin D they aquire from UV lighting (in the wild from sunlight) is absolutely necessary for the proper synthesis of calcium in their body. Without it, their body can't make use of the calcium they ingest.

With fluorescent style UV lights, they need to be no more than a foot above the turtle itself and can't be blocked by glass or plastic, as that cuts out most of the UV rays. They need a place where they can get entirely out of the water to bask and dry off. Always being wet can sometimes contribute to bacterial issues, like shell rot. Over the basking area, a heat lamp should be placed. That lets them get out of the water to adjust their body heat as necessary, and go back into the water when they don't need it. All painteds, cooters, and sliders need this kind of setup.

I have actually seen unexplained shell deformations as well, in animals that have proper UV , adquate heating and diet. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out the cause, and might be worth talking to a vet about.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

turtle shell growing up

Thank you so very much for your reply! I will try new lighting,and a variation in diet.Thanks again!