First pics of Tiny, my turtle! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah I think I will make the water about as shallow as it is now. I keep it changed alot b/c he doesn't have a filter in there and I don't want it to get nasty. I make the water level so he can get his head above it like you said. Thanks for the great advice!

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:31 PM

How cute!!! I love turtles.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:04 AM

Hi, you have a beautiful turtle!

Ravnos is right about all the stuff a turtle needs. If you do nothing else, spring for the UVB SOON.

Another thing: you may want to look at that light spot on your turt's back. It looks like shell rot. It is easiest to take care of in its earliest stages so you might want to take care of it soon!

Congrats on your turtle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hey! Thanks, yeah I am planning on getting him a nice setup very soon, money is very tight right now. I don't think he has shell rott or anything. That was just where his shell wasn't wet. Thanks though!!

Oh and also, if it were, how would I stop it, like, is there somethig I could get for it myself or would I need to find a doctor who sees turtles?? Just so I know, you know? lol

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Last edited by dappledoxie; 03-11-2004 at 07:48 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I didn't know you had a turtle! How cute! And wow - the great advice is facinating - and I don't even have one!
Good Luck with him!! He's adorable.

[center]

[
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 AM

Well, shell rot can is characterized by white, dull patches on the shell. In its early stages it is easy to care for but if you let it progress to long it will eventually wear away at the shell until bone is exposed. Extreme cases wear away the shell entirely. It is fairly common ... it is caused by an excess of bacteria and/or fungus growing in the water.

Mild shell rot is easily treated. First, you want to let your turtle's shell dry completely -- put him in a tupperware container or something similar for treatment. Next, you want to apply some betadine solution (iodine antiseptic) directly to the affected areas with a q-tip -- if you don't have any solution on hand you can get a bottle in the first aid section of your drug store. It works as a disinfectant against whatever is already growing there. Next, apply an antibacterial ointment. Your should keep your turtle's shell dry for at least the next few hours to let the treatment work. Repeat the treatment in a few days. If you don't notice any changes than switch to an antifungal for the next treatment. Sometimes it can take awhile depending on the severity of the shell rot ... turtles aren't fast healers. But, if your turtle does have or ever get shell rot don't put off treatment because you don't want to wait too long or your turtle will need a vet's treatment instead.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wonderful advice! Thank you so much. I am going to look at it very closely, at this time I see no little white, dry looking spots but I am gonna watch it. I really, really appreciate this a lot!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Tags
blood worms, cage mate, fish tank, meal worms, pet store, pet trade