Found! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Question Found!

I found a Russian tortoise in NY finally! He looks healthy, got him check by a vet and hes fine. But I haven't seen him eat yet. All his environmental surroundings are fine, but he isn't eating. I saw him eat once and I've had him for 3 days. Should I be worried? I want to catch any illness i can before it gets out of control.

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Great! Make sure to show us pictures! (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Betta Bomb

Tortoises won't eat if their uncomfortable (I think) Once he's adjusted to his new surroundings. Was he a former pet or wild? If he's wild he just may not know the food is there for him?? Im not a tort expert, if he was someones pet then he'll likely eat within a few days. When I first got my RES Stumpy out of his bad home he wouldnt eat for a few days either. Probably because of new water and surroundings (and clean water!)
Keep us updated, if the vet said he was fine then he shuld come around, let us know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

thanks for the replies. I put in a bunch of mixed greens, which include dandelion greens and red lettuce which i heard they really like. I've also tried shredded carrots (a small amount). He showed a mild interest in them then he just walked away. I just want to make sure he will eat. Is it possible that hes still uncomfortable with his surroundings after a couple of days...

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You said his surroundings are "fine" but could you give more details? What type of enclosure is he in? What are the temperatures, humidity levels, types of substrate, etc.? Also, it's possible he's just eating when you're not in the room.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

The humidity is 30%, the substrate is 50% sand 50% topsoil (NO FERTILIZER!) and I keep it damp enough so its not dusty. Hes in a rubbermaid container about 60 gallons. The sides are cloudy, not solid, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with the sides. I have a hideaway for him to go in, a shallow dish if water and a bowl of fresh veggies for him.

He digs a lot which i know they do, I'm not sure if it means he needs something else in his environment or not.

his basking area is between 90-95 degrees F and the other side is slightly higher than our house temperature, 72 degrees F

I can't think of anything else. I haven't seen him eat, and I don't know if he was wild caught or captive. Is there anything I can do to entice him to eat?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

This is going to sound weird and I'm not sure if it's true but could he possibly be borrowing to get to more humid conditions? I say this only because I know in the wild, their burrows are quite humid! It might be worth a shot to increase the humidity a bit or give him a soak.

But before you try things like that, what kind of UVB bulb do you have? They're pretty specific in their requirements and the wrong bulb could be causing him to not want to eat.

Another idea would be to give him two hides, one on each side of the tank. That way he doesn't have to choose between safety and the proper temperature .

Where did you get him? If it was from a rescue or breeder, they could probably tell you about his eating habits. If he's from a pet store he might be wild-caught .

Oh, and what kinds of vegetables have you offered so far? You could try flowers, some tortoises LOVE them (marigolds, dandelions, nasturtiums, etc.).

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Thanks a lot for the information. I tried soaking him and misting him too. When i misted him it seemed to make him more active. I actually saw him eat a piece of cubed timothy hay today. Well he just nibbled on it, but it was a start. I tried covering the sides of the tupperware with plain white paper, and he stopped burrowing, maybe he thought he could get out?

As far as the UVB bulb goes, I forgot which one it is. Do you have any you recommend for a screw in, he can't have a bar UVB light because I don't have a bar long enough to fit over my tupperware so i have a clamp light with a twisted UVB bulb in it.

Any you recommend?

thanks!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Check the bulb, it'll say the brand and wattage.

If it was my tortoise, I'd probably use something like the T-Rex Active UVHeat. I like having just one bulb for heat and UVB . I've also heard good things about Solar Glo and Reptisun (I think Reptisun only has tubes, though).

~Stephanie

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Curmudgeon

Russians can be sensitive to seasonal changes. Because, in some parts of their range, they brumate for up six months out of year (possibly longer). Consequently, at this time of year, they can sometimes go off their feed ...and it might last for months.

You can usually help them get moving again by gradually increasing their photperiod and temperatures. If that doesn't work, it's possible that there may be some underlying health cause that the vet didn't catch.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Thanks you guys for all the information. I'm going to look into that bulb for him.

I also heard that more UVA light improves their appetite, is this true? If so does the T-Rex Active UVHeat have UVA and UVB?

Also, I'm wondering if you use a night light for your tortoises. My house is about 68 degrees F at night. I read that the temperatue changes are pretty important for them, so I don't put ANY lights on at night. i DO have a night light heating lamp for him just in case, but I haven't seen a need for it yet.

Sorry for all the questions

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

OH! and another thing, I was wondering what everyones opinions are on cuddlebone for them the chew on.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, the T-Rex bulb provides UVA too. Most reptile bulbs provide it .

If your house stays warm enough, don't worry about it. But if it gets chilly, maybe at least use a heating pad.

As for the cuttlebone, some tortoises like them, some ignore them. It depends on the individual. It probably can't hurt to try but don't use it as a substitute for calcium-rich foods.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Thanks for your info Stephanie, it really helped. He looks alot brighter now, I think hes finally settling into his new surroundings. I gave him a bunch of timothy hay to burrow in/munch on. He likes to go underneath it. I still haven't seen him eat much. I took him to a different vet this time and they also said he was very healthy. I just want to make sure hes getting enough calcium.

You guys were great! Thanks!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Since his food intake is in question, he's probably not drinking either. Make sure that he is well hydrated. Soaking at least weekly is a good idea.

While it's acceptable for bedding, I've never known many species that ate much timothy. Don't even count it as part of his diet unless you see him chowing down on it.

Also, don't focus on Calcium as much as the kind of Calcium (whether it's bioavailable) and on Calcium to Phosphorus ratio of the food. At this point, I'd concentrate more on getting the animal used to eating a variety of foods. Try different colors, from dark greens (like Dandelions and Mustards) to yellows (cut up squash was one my guys liked). Some go crazy over tomatoes. It's a good way to make sure they get enough water, and you can squish the tomato over the greens to make it smell appetizing.

Whatever you do, don't assume that he's eating. I've know some owners that have let their animals almost starve to death because they 'assumed' that since the tort had access to food, that it was eating.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
tortoise