Found this guy in my back yard - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Found this guy in my back yard

Okay he wasn't too happy with me bothering him but I promise it was quick! I have no clue what he is but he made for a great model for the pictures.

This is him walking around

This is his top view

This is a side view

Here is an underneath view

And here is his ugly mug (he/she didn't like this one at all!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Wow, that is so cool! I am so jealous of all you guys that have these critters in your backyards. Makes me want to move to a state thats not paved over.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, he's really colorful! Cool beans, I bet he/she is mumbling pretty heavily at ya. lol

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:55 PM

I can just hear the turtle swearing. He looks like a slider to me. I too wish I lived where these guys lived in the wild. I'm sure there are some around here, but I never see them. Thanks for sharing your pics.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:03 PM

Uh huh Dena, turtles & frogs, eh?? We've got it made girlie!

He's got neat colors - I like the red & yellow combination!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I've also got black bear (I have pictures but you can't really see him), brown bear, wild turkey, dear, red tail hawks, blue heron, coyotes (hear them but rarely ever see them), snakes and lots and lots of bugs. An Ecologist group from Rutgers University comes here every year and they keep finding new plant species, not sure about all the animal species yet.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Herp Nerd

Looks like an Eastern Painted Turtle, nice find. Don't worry, none of them appreciate getting their picture taken. I think they're afraid of future black mail.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Miss New Booty

Wow Dena!!! What a beautiful turtle!!!! How awesome you were able to get pictures of him!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 04:04 AM

Well, whatever he is, he is definately a boy! See those long nails? That is a characteristic of males.

It is kind of hard to say but I'd lean towards either a Midland painted turtle or an Eastern. Easterns are one of the most readily identifiable species of turtle in North America because they are the only species who has aligned carapace scutes. For all the non-turtle geeks this means that the sections on the dome of the shell line up perfectly across the dome horizontally.

It is sometimes one of the only ways to differentiate between Eastern and Midland.

As you can see, the turtle Dena caught doesn't have aligned scutes.

Here is a picture of a Midland Painted from chelonia.org:

And here is an Eastern: As you can see, the scutes are aligned. Easterns also have characteristic yellow dots on the side of their heads -- I couldn't tell from the pictures if yours had this spot, Dena. But maybe if you remember you could clear things up once and for all.

I have Southern and Western Painteds so together we'd almost have a complete set, Dena!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Herp Nerd

It could be a midland, or even an intergrade between eastern and midland - which isn't uncommon. Good call. I completely forgot the midlands ranged that far east. I have some painted turtle pics, need to dig them up.

Rav

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Aha! I knew taking pictures of all angles would help identify him. I can't be sure about the spots though, I know there was a lot of yellow but I don't think he had the spots. He wasn't going to poke his head out long enough for me to take pictures. I really need to invest in a telephoto lens!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Herp Nerd

Laying in the grass, patiently waiting for them to come out of their shell isn't fun.

Rav

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:17 AM

Yeah, Dena, that was smart. Most people don't think to take so many pictures. But there are a lot of turtle species that look almost exactly the same!

Tags
black bear