found a Turtle need info quick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

found a Turtle need info quick

Found this critter upside down on our driveway this morning.
See attatchet pics
What is he/she called?
I dont have ANY clue what they eat.
HELP!!
Anybody know of any turtle rescues in Southern Calif. ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5031756a.jpg (53.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg S5031757a.jpg (57.3 KB, 6 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It looks like a young Desert Tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) to me, but I'm really no expert.

I'd release it back outside, why did you catch it in the first place? The Desert Tortoise is an endangered species, so please do the responsible thing and release it in a quiet area asap.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Let it go. It's a wild animal, not a pet. What's more, all native tortoises are under state and federal protection. ...and they are protected for a reason, they are threatened or endangered. By removing one from the wild, you take a potential breeder out of the gene pool, ...for no other reason than your own selfishness.

For info contact the California Turtle and Tortoise Club.

Let it go.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 03-18-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Before i posted anything, I did some reading.
More than one website stressed that Tortoises kept as pets should NOT be set free in the wild.
We are in a large suburban neighborhood, I really doubt this guy was wild.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He may be wild call animal control or take it there they will know if he is a wild tort or a pet one that someone dumped on your yard. Its possible some kids in your neighbor hood found it and left it upside down.

as for Mygala it sounds to me like they are trying to help the tort and didn't take it to be their pet, as they want to give it to a rescue and don't know what kind it is to know if it is a dumped animal or a wild one. I don't think they have encountered many wild torts like it or they would know that it is wild.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstresst View Post
Before i posted anything, I did some reading.
More than one website stressed that Tortoises kept as pets should NOT be set free in the wild.
We are in a large suburban neighborhood, I really doubt this guy was wild.
It's a native species, I wouldn't be surprised if it was wild. As far as I know, Desert Tortoises aren't legal in the pet trade (being endangered and all).

If you're really that concerned, contact some sort of reptile rescue (sadly, I don't know of any in your area, so maybe just Google) and ask them. But honestly, keeping that tortoise in your house is a lot worse than it being outdoors--even if it was a pet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

he is spending LOTS of time outdoors foraging.
I have many hideaways around the yard and he never once stopped to rest untill i brought him at dark.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstresst View Post
he is spending LOTS of time outdoors foraging.
I have many hideaways around the yard and he never once stopped to rest untill i brought him at dark.
But keeping him like you are is against the law, you really need to let him go.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I did some reading.
More than one website STRESSED that Tortoises kept as pets should NOT be set free in the wild.
seein as how he was in a large suburban neighborhood, I really doubt this guy was wild.

AND
AND we have many wild dogs running around the nearest likely spot to release him

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
FINALY..........
Just got the email I was waiting for.
Our local tourtoise conservation people are going to come pick him up.
they will asses weather he is wild or domesticated and if he's wild they will relocate him

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Hello Earthling

That's great!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I am allergic to maths

!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

UPDATE again....... the folks who had the tortoise saw my flyer torty is now back where he started from

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

holy crap people couldnt you see that theyre trying to help out the lil guy, i understand where they were coming from. u find it in ur driveway and obviously if your on this site you love animals and youd want to keep the poor thing from getting hurt until the right people could come and take care of him and find out where it belonged, they asked for some advice and get people critisizing them and calling them irresponsible! ughhhhhhhhh the nerv of some people!!!!!!! i doubt if u found a baby bird abandoned ud just leave it there! ud do the same thing they did and call the wildlife place that can do someting about it u wouldnt just leave it there to die! they did a good job and im glad to hear that they found out where it belonged!!!! did it turn out to be someones pet? or wild?

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

Quote:
But honestly, keeping that tortoise in your house is a lot worse than it being outdoors--even if it was a pet.
i disagree with that. if the tortoise was someones pet and they were looking for it and u happened to find it and not do anything, just leave it to die how is that better? if it was a pet it wouldnt be used to living outdoors and would prolly starve...... just my opinion

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!

Tags
turtle