Giving turtles medication orally - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Giving turtles medication orally

If anyone finds they have to give medication to turtles with a neddle free syringe orally then here is a good way.
Get someone to hold them up side down and gently touch the side of the turtles neck.
Just gently touch where the skin is in between the neck and legs and they will open their mouths.
If you touch their faces with it they do not open their mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Curmudgeon

That's not possible with some of the tortoises or aquatics (sometimes weighing over 100 pounds) . I've learned that sometimes, if you pinch one of the front feet, the turtle will come out and try and bite you. When the mouth is open, there is your chance to give them the meds..

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:31 AM

Most turtle people I've talked to said it's best to give oral meds via feeding tube. I was wondering about this. My box turtle has picked up some pinworms and I was gonna get him some dewormer (panacur), but am afraid he will aspirate it. I heard they can get pneumonia from this. Have you ever used a feeding tube on a turtle? It seems scary to poke something down their throat if you don't know what you are doing. He really needs the dewormer before hibernation time. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Curmudgeon

If you have to use a feeding tube ...I'd get a vet to show you how to do this. It is not something you want to try without proper instruction and supervision for the first few attempts.

You're right, improper use can push the medication into the lungs, causing particulate pneumonia.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
box turtle