Happy Turtle? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Happy Turtle?

Hiya
I have a Mississippi map turtle (or i think it is i used a picture turtle book to find out) whos just over 8 years old and since buying her as been all alone with only me for company.

shes in a huge tank now with 2 filters and all the lights and heater, so shes got alot of room so swim about it and some rocks she can sit on.

the problem is tho that shes seems kinda depressed, she doesnt swim about as much as she used to in her old tank and just sits underwater when she lost intrest in her lamp.
what could i do to keep her occopied? or has the years of loneyness drove her mad (if thats possible).

i was thinking of trying to find something aqatic that she wouldnt eat and tear up. i never fed her fish, just shrimps and veg pellets and she doesnt like any lettece i offer.
does anyone know of any plants or animals that could make her tank seem more exciting and possibly keep her company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Betta Bomb

How big is she? Was she captured in the wild or captive bred? I would advise adding some fish of all sizes so the ones she can't eat she can certainly watch.Try taking her out maybe to run around a room or a warm garden? There might also be something wrong with her health if she has ceased to be as active as she once was. I added those plastic bubble things you get from toy vending machines in my turtle tank and they float around. Umm,those small rubber bouncy balls are also fun to bite at and chase around. Add tons of those plants you can get at Dollarama for her to hide and chase fish in...The creativity is endless and keep it mixed up to keep her mind active. Good luck,and keep us posted
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, the idea about the toys sounds like great fun ^_^ definitely will try that today ^_^ her shell size is about 15cm and is captive breed.

shes been biting for about 2 years now so i get quite scared to take her out from the tank as im worried she might bite my other pets. do you recomend any particular type of fish? i have 2 small fishes although they are very quick i think she might eat them or atleast give it a very good try lol. so can i use any aqatic plants?

i am worried about her health i dont think shes getting enough vit D (i hear its important for her shell), shes shedding skin and the top layer of shell falls off sometimes.

thanks for the reply ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Herp Nerd

Don't put any fish in with her that you'd be sad to see eaten. It will be only a matter of time before she gets around to them.

Other things that can cause the "blahs" in turtles is their UV light being old. Fluorescent UV lights don't last very long, maybe 6-9-12 months before their UV output is significantly reduced. It varies greatly by brand, but if your lights are old, I'd suggest replacing them.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

oooo i didnt know that thank you!! the tank shes in is second hand and i think its the original uv light. im kinda confused by the lights apparently they have different outputs, is higher the number better?

ive put a rubber duck in the tank with her until i get the money to redesign her tank.

i was talking to friends and they suggested finding another turtle to keep her company, ive got the room and already have food but im not sure if she would react will to another turtle (we didnt discuss species)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How big is your tank, and what are the temps?

Some (all?) turtles need heated water, and a basking spot. If it is an oringinal bulb it has no UVB. It is just a light bulb.

I think you will need a 10.0 UVB bulb but possibly only a 5.0 i wouldn't go lower than that. It HAS to say UVB on the side not full spectrum or UVA if it has UVB it has UVA. They don't put out heat so you will need a hot one as well for a basking place.

for greens try collard, mustard, or turnip greens they are far better than lettece, lettece is just water, nothing good for you in it.

some feeder fish would be fun for her, they are only a few cents each and will give more verity to her diet, goldfish are fatty, but minnows would be good.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I keep her water at 25C sometimes it drops to 23C during winter. the tank is 120cm long and the water is 33cm deep.

ill try to get the greens but the supermarkets here can be difficult to find things. would vegetable pellets (im giving her a lid full everyday as well as frozen shrimps) give her nutrients??

both me and my partner r willing to do as much as we can to give her a healthy and happy life, but we r uncomfortable in putting fish in the tank purely to be eaten. if nicky (the turtle) was in a pond then we would be fine with her eaten anything that she found in there (cycle of life and such). but while she is in the tank, we would rather feed her dead animals.

i havent tried feeding her meal worms or fruit, would they be good for her?

(update: i think shes realised that the rubber duck floating sidewards is slightly odd, so shes no longer avoiding it)

Thanks For All the Replies! ^_^
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She does need meat in her diet, that is part of owning some reptiles. You can buy frozen pinkies that you can thaw and feed her i think but fish are better. turtle pellets really aren't a great whole diet. I understand you being uncomfortable with feeding live fish though, i feel the same way but i don't have a turtle. I only have vegetarian reptiles.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

ooo i thought feeding her prawns might be a gd compensation to fish. i havent heard of pinkies before..are they a type of fish?

there isnt really that many gd places to buy food for turtles here in london that i know of. many of the pet shops have meal worms and "complete" turtle food that i used to give my turtle when she was quite young.

the rubber duck seems to be keeping her moving she tried biting it today ^_^ i bought a flashing dolphin to add to it, i think these things are keeping me more entertained then her lol ^_^

oo does anyone know of any aqaitic plants that might help with the water smelling? i ran out of water freshener which ill get asap but as im will hopefully get some plants in there i would rather they be more benificail to the tank then just look pretty ^_^

thanks to everyone for posting, im learning alot and Nicky is really enjoying the advise too lol ^_^ thanks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Betta Bomb

Pinkies are baby mice before they develop fur.They are hairless,blind and deaf therefore providing vital nutrients dead or alive as they are completley and utterly defensless.
The toys are good ,its good she's playing with them to occupy her mind from boredom ; )
If your water smells you should probably invest in a filter or replace the one the one you have.I went through soooo many different filters which seemed to never work quite as well as I wanted it to then I found someone selling one online with my current tank for 300$. The filter alone is worth 300-400$ and it's a Fluval 405 power filter.These Fluval filters have multiple baskets to put up to 6 different media cartridges in to keep the water clean and sparkelly and smelling semi-fresh as long as the turts dont eat in the tank water..try feeding your turtle in the bathtub or if your mom is really discusted by tutles like mine is, in a tote box in the bathtub.Keep the turtie there until she eats all her food and maybe even poos before putting her back in her tank to keep it cleaner longer.Oh yeah, try classified sites and put up an ad for a Fluval or any other power filter and chances are you'll come across a half cheap one . As for aquatic plants,Um,I tried water sprite when i had a mass of it growing in my old fish tank and it really didnt last long enough to benefit the quality of the water what with my hungry hungry turtle! Anyways, good luck. Let us know about a filter. It's really important to have clean water as the conditions will become quite deplorable since she's defecating and peeing in the same water as she drinks o.O
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pinkies are baby mice.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

ooooo thats a pretty gd name considering that their pink (they are arent they >.>)

Ive got 2 filters in her tank fluval (i was reading it upside down but im sure thats it) ones huge that came with the tank nickys in and the other is abit smaller that she had in the old one.

usually they work really well but the filter material inside gets old very quickly and has to be replaced usually after 1 month. i used the normal filter pads and pop abit of the fine cotton type in aswell.

ive tried feeding her outside her tank, she completely withdraws into her shell for hours. so im putting off redesigning her tank complete with glued down bogwood or/ and rocks cos the glue says it has to dry for 24 hours on top of it being completely bone dry for like 2 hours (?.?) so i dont think she would cope well in a tub that long.

seems like i have to go online to get food for her the pet shops around are quite same old stocking almost the excat same things. any recommendation for good sites?

Thanks for all the replies ^_^
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Betta Bomb

Jabori took a while to get used to getting fed in the tub at first.He wouldnt touch the food and also withdrew in his shell.Eventually he learned that that was where he was getting his food from now on,also I put in spare plants and caves so he would feel a little more comfortable.
I have freeze dried shrimp which I bought at Wal Mart but only as a treat every 2nd time I feed them.They stink which I learned after closing them up in my bathroom cabinet out of reach of my kitty, and holy stink! I was thinking something funky was going down in there until I picked them out to feed last week and discovered the smell was the shrimp...*plukky*
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

lol yea shrimps do have a certain aroma to them lol i keep mine in the freezer till its feeding time lol the house becomes dangerous once i walk towards the freezer my cat tries to soften me up so i give her some lol yea great idea to obsessively try to trip people over x.x

it just came to mine that even aquatic plants have roots lol so do they need some soil too?? ekk muddy water! the caves is a cool idea i was tempted to get a floating toy boat with lil pirates lol that and lil caves and 'buried' treasure should be alot of fun ^_^
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I am allergic to maths

Aquatic plants dont need soil they can root into gravel at the bottom of the tank

Tags
happy, turtle