Help with turtle eggs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Help with turtle eggs

I havent discovered what kind of turtle layed them but outside my house my mom found a turtle and thought it was stuck sho she removed it and put it back in the retention pond by my house but later i got curious so i wen and dug about 5 inches down and found turtle eggs but in florida right now we are haveing a cold front come thru and are expected to have freezing temperatures an i checked the soil around the eggs and it is colder than 85 degrees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

just cover them back up. I know you would like to save them, but they are wild turtles and will do better out doors and not interfered turtles have lasted a long time under ground they may be fine. They are very very hard to incubate if you don't have the right resources. You cannot turn the eggs on their sides or upside down, the baby will drown.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Herp Nerd

Turtles have been picking places to lay their eggs for more than 200 million years, I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, they've figured it out by now. Egg incubation in the wild is a lot more complex than it is in captive breeding situations. The temperatures fluctuate, the humidity changes. Some places, the eggs can even be entirely flooded and still hatch. Assuming the eggs are protected in the way the mother intended, and not uncovered to the weather, they should do just fine.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

try not to dig them up again momma turt packed the dirt just so, and that cant be mimicked and watch for baby turtles!!!!

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile

i checked the dirt and packed it back down sothey could retain heat or whatever you call it when they keep the in
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking

i have owned turtles before and i have rescued them also before they die a terrible death and i am going to try to get about 3 to 4 more because i love watching them grow up and also i am in boy scouts and i can get a merit badge for taking care of them so i cant wait till the eggs hatch and i get turtles from the pet store
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't see why the boy scouts would give you a badge for taking an animal out of the wild and caring for it up until you got a badge and then release it? is that what you do? how old are you?

Turtles live a long live, some potentially out live people and take a lot of space and time, 3 or 4 is a lot of work they require lots and lots of space. Where are you going to house 4 turtles?

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I am allergic to maths

Dont you have to be like under 12 or something to be in the boy scouts? This is a bit off topic but why would they give you a badge for taking care of an animal? It sounds to me like that could cause more abandoned animals
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

cubs scout is 12 and under boy scouts is 13 and over you have to have the animal for a very long time and keep it alive and healthy and since i love turtles and they are in that catogory i pick them and i would NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! abondon them
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I am allergic to maths

I didnt mean you personally but I still stand by what I said. That badge really cant be a good idea!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You didn't answer my questions of

Do you have a tank big enough to house 4 adult turtles in (10 gal per inch of turtle)?

Are you planning on stealing an animal from the wild? (I do Not approve of boy scouts getting a badge for that!)

Are your parents planning on giving you lots of money for these turtles for food and care.

How are you going to clean a tank that is big enough for 4 turtles?

What are you going to do with these turtles when in a few years you will have a car, an high school, and then college?

What did you do with your past turtles?

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I am allergic to maths

I thought that too, turtles arent short lived at all so what happned to them?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

im buying some from the pet store
my old turtles were attacked by birds and the birds ate them before i could scare them away but the turtles were my favorite ones and at least lived a good long life they were my dad's old turtles and i am not getting adult turtles god you guys dont get it i love turtles and now i have a chance to get new ones if your going to post do try to critisize everything i say god!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

and i plan to get a bigger tank asap i had one prepared but it fell off the table ill keep you guys posted on how they are doing once i get them
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

im starting to think submitting to this forum was a very bad idea the people here are very very rude no matter what i saw another thread where a GUY RESCUED A TORTISE AND WAS CRITISIZEDAND YELLED AT FOR IT

Tags
turtle eggs problem