Hibernation - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
kmc

Hibernation

Ok, I have owned a painted turtle in the past, but she never hibernated. I got her from a friend that couldnít look after her properly.

Now I have a new one. They donít sell aquatic turtles here in Alberta so I got him from Ontario, BUT my husband caught him for me right out a river. We got him in the spring/summer so I didnít have to worry about hibernating.

He has adapted very well to his huge 40 gallon terrarium that we fixed up for him (donít know age, shell size is 4 inches long), but Iím having a hard time finding good information on how to alter my tank for him when he hibernates.

If anyone can give me hibernating tips that would be wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
kmc

Well, now I have another question.

Can an aquatic turtle display signs of wanting to hibernate? Essentially, I have noticed that he's not eating as much as he used to and I want to make sure that that is a sign of wanting to hibernate.
I'll put in 3 cubes of beef heart or cubes of some other fish blend and he used to eat all 3, now he eats maybe half of one. I just want to make sure that he wants to hibernate and he's not sick.

My husband used to have tortoises and he said they always stopped eating so much come fall/winter. But is this the same for aquatic?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Curmudgeon

If you are not planning on breeding your turtle, hibernation shouldn't be necessary. It won't hurt the turtle to not hibernate. Because of the shortening of the days, they may become a little less active, and eat less, but that's normal.

If you decide to hibernate the turtle, you'll need to fast him for a few weeks. That way there is no food in the gut. Otherwise undigested food can rot and be fatal. You'll also need somewhere protected where the temperature can be controlled. It needs to be cold enough to keep the turtle asleep without freezing to death.

I would normally recommend that only experienced turtle keepers allow their animals to hibernate. Done wrong, it's a good way to kill the turtle.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
kmc

Yea, I wasnt sure if hibernation was neccessary or not.

Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

I really don't think you need to hibernate him,now that he is in your home.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
kmc

Yea, I was just wondering because I got him from the wild and the other one that I had was born and raised in people care. I know that hibernation isnt really neccessary, but I was thinking that because he's used to it in the wild, he might be acting like he wants to.

Im glad that he'll adjust to not hibernating, I just wanted to make sure that I didnt need to do anything for him, hibernation wise.....

I hope this makes sense...Im rambly tonight...