Jabs and Stump are moving out :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Jabs and Stump are moving out :(

I have regretfully decided last year to re-home my turtles when the doctor confirmed I have Spina Bifida.

Spina Bifida is a debilitating spinal malfunction/deformity in which there is an opening in the plates of your spine allowing spinal fluids to leak out and cause new growth on the bone which usually results in twisted backs, permanent paralysis, or other serious changes caused before and directly after birth. Fortunetly, I only have a seriously mild case but the gap is there and by straining my back through heavy lifting and strenous activity I could cause the fluid to leak out alot faster if it even happens at all.

So I figured the turtles in their tank and all the maintenance of that had to go. Love my turtles SO much, I had Jabori for 12 years and Stumpy for about 5. Stumpy came from a home where Im pretty sure he never had proper lights, diet, exercise or basking. He lived in dirty water thats for sure (b/c the home beofre me he was in my sisters friends house in a dirty tub) and somehow his shell has grown bad and all the nails on his paw are gone permanently and he cannot swim right.. I think he might have been attacked by an animal b/c he does have some scars on his skin. Jabori was always healtheir and more active and can hunt fish and the like. Anyway, I grew up with Jabori. Now, in hindsight, I realise some of that time was spent with me thinking turtles thrived in a non-filtered, cold tub. It's only when I began working that I got him his tanks, filter and heaters. (This I feel bad about)

I put an ad on kijiji and also on the website of our small animal rescue but no one seemed interested. I put up a new ad with pictures about 2 weeks ago and yesterday I received an email on buddy who is interested and had a call from him and he's coming Sunday to meet them. He is a contractor and had 2 turtles in Alberta. I asked for information to make sure he knows about them and also I'll have him sign a form indicating that if for any reason he cannot take care of them I get them back to find another home and also for references. He seems smart and wise and all that good stuff so I cross my fingers in hopes he'll provide them with a wonderful everlasting home.
It killed me this morning in fixing up their lights to look at them and watch them. Stumpy somwhow mananged to climb halfway on the basking dock and pull Jabori into the water where they both spiralled down together. It was cute and I still dont know how he did it
My boys will sure leave my living room empty and cold, not to mention my heart! They have moved on up to become the focal point in my living room and can be viewed from outside and although their not necessarily the focal point in my heart as they dont follow me around the house and sleep with me as some of the 'others' do, I'll for sure be hating their departure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww....I know how much they mean to you and how it hurts.But for your health it is the best option.I hope all goes well with the guy coming to see them and that he can provide a good home for your turtles.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

*sniffle*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

------------------------------------------------------------
AND why it's so hard to place turtles:

<<< From the pet store