Lost Box Turtle - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Lost Box Turtle

I am trying to help my nephew find his 5 year old turtle, Mr. Myrtle. They live in a dessert area of Southern California and Mr. Myrtle got out of the garage 3 weeks ago.

Do turtle's have a strong sense of smell like dogs? Should we leave food or water out for him? Is is hybernating somewhere? Can he hear my nephew calling him?

My nephew is extremely upset and I don't know how to help him.

Please advise!

Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:40 PM

I'm sorry that your nephew lost his turtle. I'm not sure about a turtle's sense of smell. Hopefully some PT turtle people can help. I hope you find him!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:41 PM

I'm sorry you guys lost the turtle! Maybe he actually didn't get out of the garage and is hiding in a very secretive spot somewhere? Good luck finding it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe he actually didn't get out of the garage and is hiding in a very secretive spot somewhere?
This is VERY POSSIBLE!! Unless you KNOW for a fact that it left the garage there's an excellent chance he is still in the garage. Finding him is tricky though. Turtles can hide ANYWHERE and for very long periods of time. They find ways to fit into spaces one wouldn't think possible and they can climb over and under things that most would think impossible for a turtle to accomplish.

They can hear, and they do have a good sense of smell.. leaving food out is an option but only if it doesn't mean you'll be attracking a whole lot of unwanted animals over there in the process.

It's not easy finding a lost turtle... but it can be done. Sometimes they are found rather quickly, other times there are amazing stories of finding them months, or even years, later.

Good luck to you and don't hesitate to post signs up just like you would for a lost dog or cat.... turtles are found that way too
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:10 PM

Sorry about your nephew's box turtle...I hope you find him!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 07:16 PM

I agree with everyone else, it is possible to find them and if the temps remain moderate then you could even see him next spring. Keep looking and look under things in dark places ... in the future you can stick neon band-aids on their shells when they are wandering and this makes them easier to spot.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I would have never thought of a neon bandage. How clever! My nephew still hasn't found him, but I think the messages I've received might give him some hope. Thank you!

Debra

Tags
box turtle