my cat brought me a freind, help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

my cat brought me a freind, help!

so, my sweet keykey brought me a baby tortoise, i have no clue what kind, or age, or even if it is a tortoise, not a turtle. his toes aren't webbed, and he burrows into his aquarium. he'll go underwater for a few seconds, but then crawls out of his pool. he won't eat carrots, lettuce, or store bought tortoise food. he is the size of a gatorade cap. he has access to water and sand, so i'm not too concerned if he's aquatic or not, mainly i want him to eat. what should i do? he's not injured, and will leave his head out, but he'll get destroyed if i just leave him outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

i just learned he doesn't have trouble pooping! lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Herp Nerd

More likely that its a box turtle. Don't suppose you could post a pic?

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Curmudgeon

Release it.

Box turtle populations are under real pressure in all of the US, and taking them as pets is one reason. It may also be illegal to keep a wild one as a pet (it is in several states).

If it's a native tortoise, it is protected by federal law, as they are endangered species, and it is a federal offense punishable by big fines and jail time.

The right thing is to let it go back where it came from...

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:35 PM

What a helpful piece of advice! Fines and jailtime? I don't think that's the advice she's looking for, plus it's not like she went out looking for a pet turtle, and I don't think the cat would be put in jail for this!

Amanda, do you have an idea where the turtle came from? If not, try to find out from a pet store if they know of a place to bring the turtle. They may be familiar with the area and know of a place these turtles tend to build their homes. Good luck with it, keep us posted.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Ravnos- We just moved so my camera adaptor is in storage. I'll have to see if i can get a new one today.

I was thinking it wasn't a box turtle, because he didn't have a plastral hinge, but now i'm reading that the baby's don't. He doesn't look like the box turtles in my book, and doesn't have a very high-domed shell. I'll try to buy a cord today so i can post a pic. We see the same kind of tortoise a lot on the side of the road here, so I don't think it's a box turtle, because they aren't as common, being endangered and all. I'd put him back, but we're clearing our land right now, and I'm afraid he'll get destroyed by all the construction. If i need to release him, i'll call the state fish and wildlife, like you suggested. Thanx!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Herp Nerd

Baby box turtles don't have a high domed shell. They are usually brown with yellow spots on them - though that can vary a bit.

I would suggest contacting Wildlife Rescue instead of Texas Parks & Wildlife. They know what they're doing more... and if it is an endangered species, just possessing it is cause to press charges. Whether you knew it was or not.

If you were in the Austin area I could recommend a few other good people to talk to as well...

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Girl
What a helpful piece of advice! Fines and jailtime? I don't think that's the advice she's looking for, plus it's not like she went out looking for a pet turtle, and I don't think the cat would be put in jail for this!

Amanda, do you have an idea where the turtle came from? If not, try to find out from a pet store if they know of a place to bring the turtle. They may be familiar with the area and know of a place these turtles tend to build their homes. Good luck with it, keep us posted.
Whoa..
Amanda asked for advice. My advice was release it. It's a wild animal, not a pet. I gave reasons why. Amanda is not a child, I wouldn't treat her like one.

I am asssuming that she is considering keeping it as a pet from her post here, and in the thread wanting to know what she should name it.

My advice was also based on the fact that she doesn't even know what type of turtle/tortiose it is (if you don't know what it IS, how do you know what to feed it, how much to water, what temps to keep it at, what humidity, etc?),

...AND the fact that tortoises and turtles are very difficult to maintain in captivity ...correctly. They are just slower to die than most animals kept incorrectly.

You are correct on one thing, law enforcement authorities wouldn't arrest the cat, nor Amanda. However, they WOULD probably fine her parents for possession of an endangered or threatened animal.

According to Texas Parks and Wildlife: "A low reproductive rate, historic heavy exploitation by pet suppliers, and other factors have led to a severe population decline of the species. This has resulted in its being listed in 1977 as a protected nongame (threatened) species, thus affording protection from being taken, possessed, transported, exported, sold, or offered for sale."

Should I have told her that it was legal to keep it, or to feed it cactus pads ...just don't tell the authorities?

Calling the state fish and wildlife is the best way to deal with it responsibly. Asking at pet stores is not necessarily the best way to find a home for a wild animal.

As I'm sure, you'll agree, pet stores vary in the quality and knowledge of their staff. I've often seen them keep turtles and invertebrates in inappropriate conditions, ...and illegally sell native animals ..like box turtles.

They are probably not the best source of information concerning the legality of animal ownership, and the natural history and conservation of native species. The state wildlife commission IS.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

ok, quit fighting you two. this isn't that debate section. lol I appreciate all of you advise and opinions, and thank you all! I will release it, as it is a wild animal, and it is not injured. I'm sure it didn't come from far, seeing as how my cat caught it, and she stays on our property. My grandparents live next door, so i will release it on their property, near the lake, so it may choose, land or water. Thank you all for your help!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM

I guess that is what that cat did to my turtle.

Tags
box turtle, endangered species, pet store, pet stores, wild animal