my turtle is sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
kz1

my turtle is sick

help me my turtle is not eating anything its a red eared turtle...
3-4 inched
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Could you give more details? What sort of set-up is it in? What is the temperature in the tank and what kind of UVB bulb do you have? Do you have a basking light? How often do you do water changes and when was the last time you tested the water? What are you trying to feed it? There are tons of things that could be wrong but we'll need more information to help you .

Good luck and keep us updated.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
kz1

i hav kept it in a 1.5 x 1.5 tank
i feed it Osaka pellets, i tried to feed him spanich, banana, apple but its not eating anything since three dayz
as far as the thermostat thing is concerned...there is not need acc to the seller..as in pakistan its already warm.....
it was very happy in the water three dayz ago but now he just want to bask himself or stay in shade...its hates water now (since three dayz)....i change water every 2-3 dayz...!!
wat to do???
he is already very tiny and not even eating...its making me very worried...
secondly he is yowning every now and then ...i dont knw wat does that mean...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like you don't have a UVB bulb, first of all, so definitely get one asap. If it's warm enough, bringing him outside for some sunlight will work in the meantime. UVB bulbs can be bought at pet stores and you should leave it on during the day .

Also, you said that it's warm enough without any heating but I would actually offer a heat lamp anyway. That way your tank has a temperature gradient (a warm side and a cool side) and your turtle can regulate his body temperature better .

The last thing I would do is test the water. You can buy water test kits at most pet stores (in the fish section) or you can bring in a water sample for the store to test (it's usually free). Check to make sure you don't have any ammonia or nitrites. New aquariums are prone to spikes and this can cause a lot of stress for the animals. The fact that he isn't swimming in the water much is telling you that something's wrong with the water (wrong temperature, ammonia spikes, etc.) or that he is trying to get UVB (and is therefore basking more than usual).

Oh, and try some frozen and/or live foods if you can. Some turtles just don't like pellets (and they're not as healthy). Bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, earthworms, feeder minnows, snails, ghost shrimp, blackworms, mealworms, and crickets are some foods you could try. Don't worry about him not liking plant matter--they usually don't eat much of it when they're young.

How often is he yawning? Turtles do yawn but constant yawning is usually a sign that the turtle is getting sick or that something's wrong with the water.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
kz1

ya i dont av a UVB...but i leave him in the sunlight for about an hour a day...
secondly i ll try to get that water tester thing...
abt the pellets he used to luv it....when ever i used to go near the tank...i used to run to me...and when i used to drop in the pellets one by one...he used 2 eat all of them....
i ll try that blood worms that i feed to ma fishes (dried bloodworm)...will tat work...
and abt the yawning...
since last couple of months...when ever there was even a single ray of light he used to be up....but now he is yawning usally and sometimes sleeping...when i disturb him a bit he rubs his eyes and wakes up within a minute...
the other thing...i wanna ask...that is he disturbed by some other noise....as i just bought a pair of ducklings who scream a bit when i m not around....so i guess ma turtle is afraid that the duckling might eat him....
some fear in his mind stopping him for swimming and eating...
well thanks alot for the info uptil now u hav given...
i hope he gets better...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Hello Earthling

He needs more than an hour a day.

Dried blood worms are no good. Use live or frozen.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1 View Post
ya i dont av a UVB...but i leave him in the sunlight for about an hour a day...
secondly i ll try to get that water tester thing...
abt the pellets he used to luv it....when ever i used to go near the tank...i used to run to me...and when i used to drop in the pellets one by one...he used 2 eat all of them....
i ll try that blood worms that i feed to ma fishes (dried bloodworm)...will tat work...
and abt the yawning...
since last couple of months...when ever there was even a single ray of light he used to be up....but now he is yawning usally and sometimes sleeping...when i disturb him a bit he rubs his eyes and wakes up within a minute...
the other thing...i wanna ask...that is he disturbed by some other noise....as i just bought a pair of ducklings who scream a bit when i m not around....so i guess ma turtle is afraid that the duckling might eat him....
some fear in his mind stopping him for swimming and eating...
well thanks alot for the info uptil now u hav given...
i hope he gets better...
He needs a lot more UVB than that. Definitely get a good UVB bulb before he goes even more downhill.

As for the bloodworms, I would actually try frozen or live ones. They're healthier and he also might find them more interesting . In general, though, I wouldn't recommend feeding just bloodworms and pellets. You really want to offer a variety of foods. If you can, feed him fish (most turtles love fish).

~Stephanie

Tags
sick turtle