A New Rescue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Smile A New Rescue

We just got a new box turtle as a rescue and wanted to introduce her. She is not real healthy, and I'm finding out as much as I can about getting her healthy again. We got her from someone giving her away free, because she couldn't give her the care necessary. She had only had her a month, so I'm not sure what previous conditions were. The newbie (Sassy for the moment, until my eldest names her) is a Western Box turtle, but is only 2 years old. She is very fiesty which is nice to watch. She has super long back claws, which I'll be clipping soon. She's also a little sunken in on the sides of her face. I'm watching her for more serious signs of dehydration, although she doesn't care about her water much. Anyone who has thoughts on some good food to plump her back up would be great. Here's a pic of her right after we got her home. We changed her bedding, since it smelled really bad. I don't know how well she was cared for before, but she's in a good place now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Herp Nerd

Box Turtle Care A to Z

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rav. Lots of good info on that site. I actually read about "penile fanning" for the first time. George (my older turtle) did that a few months ago and I freaked out, but never did figure out what it was. Now I know. So, thanks. That site says you should keep the new turtle separate for a few months. Is that really how long i should wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Herp Nerd

Quarantining for a few months is only prudent, especially if you aren't really sure of an animal's history. Reptiles, having such a slower metabolism than mammals, can easily hide illnesses for a very long time - illnesses that could possibly be spread to other turtles. Parasites, or infections... and so forth. And really, if the new turtle is underweight, you probably want to keep it's competition for hiding areas and food to a minimum anyway. Just to keep stress levels as low as possible.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Okay. thanks for all the great info. You are awesome. I'm going to clip her nails today and try to get her some crickets. Thanks for the link.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Wanted to give an update on Sassy (my daughter named her). She is doing awesome. She is by far the most active turtle I have ever seen. When my 10 yo has her in her room, the turtle does laps. She eats anything in sight, soaks at least once a day, and is becoming very social. She even was dancing with her head. After she had her nails clipped, clean good bedding, and lots of daily soaks with good water, and of course yummy food, she is a different turtle. What a difference a little love can make. Thanks for all your info.

Tags
box turtle