Oedipus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Oedipus

Since I have so many turtles, I think it's best if I only post about one at a time. This is Oedipus, one of my Red Ear Sliders and a personal favorite:

About 2 years ago she was rescued from a pet shop that had kept her water so filthy she received an eye infection in both eyes and, consequently, lost her sight.

She also has severe shell rot as evidenced by her dull, tan shell.

Still, she doesn't seem to know anything at all is wrong with her. She is kept in an aquarium -- her surroundings are never changed for her benefit -- and she makes it around just fine. She is even able to find her basking spot.

The only issue we had at first was getting her to eat. What with being blind and all she couldn't exactly see the food. But this was solved by removing her to a tupperware container at meal time and serving only floating pellets. She knows now that anytime she is in the tupperware container food must near -- she starts chomping at the surface. As long as someone is nearby to herd the pellets toward her face she does just fine.

She is a really happy turtle. And really fun to watch. I'm glad we have her and she didn't die at the pet shop or was put down for being blind. I think we would have missed out just as much as she would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:23 PM

What a great turtle and story! I am so glad you were able to rescue her and give her a life worth living. She sounds like a special pet.

Tags
pet shop, red ear slider