pet shops lie about sliders - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Angry pet shops lie about sliders

i have only had my turtles a short while and i love them to bits but i was severely mislead about their requirements and their mature size i went several times to the place i bought them asking questions beffore i commited to buying but most of what i was told isnt true, heres a list of things i have been told that i have since found to be false.
1. they are ideal begginner turtles
2. they only grow to 3-4 inches
3. they can be fed only on turtle pellets
4.they dont need a basking lamp
5. the tank can be kept at room temperature
6. they live about 10 years.

luckily i am committed to giving them the best care i can so i have done alot of extra research and signing up to this forum has helped but i admit i bought into being a turtle owner with not enough information.
also ive just been on a website that seems to agree with some of the wrong info i was given
exotic-pets.co.uk/turtles-for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

RES turtles need LARGE enclosures,a good diet,a good filter,light and they grow large and live a long time (80+ yrs).

Sadly pet store employees rarely know what they are talking about.And sadly RES turtles are one of the most rehomed reptiles.People buy them thinking they are easy to look after and will remain small and have a short lifespan,only to be very disappointed and rehome them once the novelty wears off.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Unfortunately, that's quite common. In the end, a pet store just wants to make the sale. That's why it's always best to do independent research on pets before you go to the pet store. Even if an employee means well, they just might not have the knowledge.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Playful Pup

I agree with what was said about the pet stores lying about sliders. I have a slider that I have had for 20 years now. I don't have a basking lamp but the turtles are in the path of sunlight for at least part of the day and are taken out from time to time to have fresh air and sunlight.

Some worker at a Petco was trying to tell me how to care for my slider when he heard I had one until I told him that I have had mine for 20 years. Most of the stuff he was telling me was the same bit that was mentioned above.

Mine is rather large and bites when he thinks you are trying to feed him because he was hand fed as a little turtle.

Many slider owners make the mistake of feeding their turtle large amounts of food daily and changing the water often. This is a definite no! Turtles can be perfectly happy being fed every other day because they often don't eat all of their food at once and our turtles don't get their tank cleaned until the tank is full of molted shells or nasty. We have a filter running to keep their water as fresh as possible though. Cleaning the tank often removes the natural bacteria in the water and will weaken the turtle's immune system.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

its ridiculous the people selling these turtles dont seem to care about the animals welfare, how many turtles are neglected or abandoned because of poor information.
i have always wanted a turtle but 4 months ago i lost my job and i thought to **** with it and in an extremely impulsive move bought 3 baby sliders without really knowing what EXACTLY they needed but now thankfully i have much better infomation and i hope my turtles are happy although i did have a weeks worry with the smallest (trevor), i tried changing their diet so that they werent living soely off the pellets the larger two (bill and ted) loved the change as they adore bloodworm and sweetcorn but trevor wouldnt eat at all but now it (he, she? too small to tell) has adjusted and seems ok, hopefully soon ill be moving out of my mums and will be able to get them into as big a tank as possible as at the moment all 3 are having to make do with a 30 gallon which wont do much longer.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithawk06 View Post
I agree with what was said about the pet stores lying about sliders. I have a slider that I have had for 20 years now. I don't have a basking lamp but the turtles are in the path of sunlight for at least part of the day and are taken out from time to time to have fresh air and sunlight.

Some worker at a Petco was trying to tell me how to care for my slider when he heard I had one until I told him that I have had mine for 20 years. Most of the stuff he was telling me was the same bit that was mentioned above.

Mine is rather large and bites when he thinks you are trying to feed him because he was hand fed as a little turtle.

Many slider owners make the mistake of feeding their turtle large amounts of food daily and changing the water often. This is a definite no! Turtles can be perfectly happy being fed every other day because they often don't eat all of their food at once and our turtles don't get their tank cleaned until the tank is full of molted shells or nasty. We have a filter running to keep their water as fresh as possible though. Cleaning the tank often removes the natural bacteria in the water and will weaken the turtle's immune system.
I can't say I agree with your advice of not changing the water often. You're right in that dirty water isn't necessarily going to kill a turtle--but it's not pleasant for them, either. The only way you'd kill the beneficial bacteria is if you totally cleaned out the whole tank. Doing partial water changes with a gravel vac is actually beneficial. It keeps the tank clean without destroying your cycle .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Playful Pup

Not to be rude, but think about where turtles live and then tell me that the dirty water isn't good for them. Our turtles came from canals and ditches and ponds that are often more stagnant than the tank water they are in.

The turtles have a good filter to keep the water as fresh as possible without changing the water completely and it gets change every so often with a deep clean to get all the shells and built up gunk out of the gravel. Our turtles are happy and healthy.

I'm not saying to never change the water, but I know of people who change the water and clean out the gravel once a week and this will definitely stress out the turtles and weaken their immune system. This is what I was referring to.

I live in Louisiana and many people just go out and catch turtles in ditches and expect them to adjust to having their water changed several times a week in the effort to keep their tanks clean. These turtles are used to muddy water at the very least. With some other turtle breeds, this might be different, but in this case, changing the water out too often will be detrimental to their health.

Changing a portion of the water would be a good idea but we haven't had to do that with ours because we have a good filter that keeps their giant tank fairly clean for quite a while.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithawk06 View Post
Not to be rude, but think about where turtles live and then tell me that the dirty water isn't good for them. Our turtles came from canals and ditches and ponds that are often more stagnant than the tank water they are in.

The turtles have a good filter to keep the water as fresh as possible without changing the water completely and it gets change every so often with a deep clean to get all the shells and built up gunk out of the gravel. Our turtles are happy and healthy.

I'm not saying to never change the water, but I know of people who change the water and clean out the gravel once a week and this will definitely stress out the turtles and weaken their immune system. This is what I was referring to.

I live in Louisiana and many people just go out and catch turtles in ditches and expect them to adjust to having their water changed several times a week in the effort to keep their tanks clean. These turtles are used to muddy water at the very least. With some other turtle breeds, this might be different, but in this case, changing the water out too often will be detrimental to their health.

Changing a portion of the water would be a good idea but we haven't had to do that with ours because we have a good filter that keeps their giant tank fairly clean for quite a while.
There are natural chemical cycles in nature that aren't going to be present in an artificial environment (your tank). I think you're misunderstanding me. When I say that the water is unsafe, I don't mean because it's "dirty" or "muddy". I mean because of the water parameters--the stuff you can't tell just by looking at it. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, hardness, etc. Ammonia, for example, is extremely dangerous to animals but it's invisible to the naked eye. You could have a tank that seemed sparkly clean and there could still be ammonia present (this is when test kits come in handy). I have a mud turtle, I don't mind mud in my tanks!

In nature, you have a complete ecosystem with plants, rain, and tons of organisms (many that we can't see) to keep things in balance. An aquarium is not balanced like that. You'll end up with some beneficial bacteria to help break down ammonia and nitrites (you'll lose them if you do 100% water changes which is probably where you got the idea that water changes cause health problems) but it's not going to be anything like in the wild. Most aquariums that are cycled still don't have full cycles, either. The ammonia gets converted to nitrite and the nitrite gets converted to nitrate. But the nitrate usually just sits there for the most part, building up. In small amounts it won't hurt a turtle but in the long run it's going to cause stress (and eventually illness). Meanwhile, the water is usually going to get more and more acidic. That's why aquarium owners perform partial water changes. Doing a small water change will keep nitrate levels low and help the pH stay stable.

Oh, and filters might make the water look clear. But that doesn't mean the tank is stable.

I really don't want to debate this, honestly. If your water change routine is working for you and water tests show your aquarium to be safe, good for you. Don't change what you're doing. But please don't tell people not to do water changes--most people aren't going to be as lucky! You'll also confuse people who have smaller tanks that NEED water changes or turtle species that are sensitive to water impurities.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Playful Pup

I wasn't telling them not to do water changes. I was telling them not to clean their tank completely once a week like I know some people to do. Besides, obviously I'm doing something right. My slider is 20 years old and shows signs of living much longer. I'll edit my post to make it more specific about the type of water change I was speaking of.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

When I had turtles,even with a good filter the tank needed water changes at least once weekly.Otherwise the tanks got messy and stinky fast!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Betta Bomb

Hmm, interesting. My tank needs only half frequent changes. I dont fully change it every time b/c I wouldnt have a spine to stand on but when the water evaporates I refill it and I keep 2 filters running. The wicked Fluval cleans it and the small Stingray keeps the flow of water going. I also DONT feed them in their tank but in the bathtub so this also keeps the water fresh longer.

And I agree with the oroginal point to the thread, one needs to perform their own research ESPECIALLY with things like reptiles and rabbits b/c the staff sinply dont know or are mislead themselves.. It's sad
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Yes pet store imployees are often mislead to the true facts of many of the animals tehy sell. I think a lot of it is due to ignorance, simply because it is a job to them. Also most of your mega stores that pushed all the mom and pop stores out of business are now hurting themselves (finacialy) and cut down on staff. Making all staff be basicly trained in all areas of the store. That means basicly ill equipped and uneducated.
unfortunetly there are not enough local reputable breeders around.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 AM

I usually just fill up Bowser's (alligator snapping turtle) tank when the water evaporates. I clean out the gravel only every few weeks. I do have a water test kit and I keep an eye on his water conditions. he does have a filter.
He is in a large kiddie swimming pool btw

(i know pet snapping turtles are a horrible idea, its been passed down in the family for some time)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Snap, snap.
Whatch out for them teeth.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 02:25 PM

he has never snapped at anyone YET.
A stupid visitor was even provoking him one time

Tags
turtle reqirements, wrong information