Pics of Tooter the red eared slider - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Romping Ratties

Talking Pics of Tooter the red eared slider

I wanted to share a few pics of my mom's turtle Tooter. He's a male red eared slider and has a great set up. I was at her house the other day washing her dog and decided to take pics of all her pets. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Tooter is one cute turtle!

It was my first time photographing through glass and I was very excited with this pic!

Also here are a couple pics of her Russian Tortoise Tula.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:38 PM

Wow, those are really great pics. Tooter is definitely a boy ... They both look very happy and healthy. I have RES's and Russians, too ... I love them to death. Turtles and tortoises are just about my favorite thing in the world. Thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Romping Ratties

Thanks! I LOVE all tortoises and turtles! I have a tortoise too, named Lucy. He is a California Desert Tortoise and I have had him for about ten years. He's currently still in the process of waking up, but as soon as I get current pics I will post some.

How do you know Tooter is a boy? What do you look for? Do you have any info on Russians as I am looking into getting one of my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:21 AM

Those pics are great! I love the pink flowers in your mom's aquarium.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 02:16 AM

Hi Romping Ratties,

You can tell Tooter is a boy by those long, long nails. In a RES's mating ritual the males use their long forenails to caress the female's face. They will spend over an hour trying to get in the perfect position in front of the female so they can shake their nails at the female. Also, I'm willing to bet that Tooter has a pretty fat tail -- male RES's tails are longer and fatter than females. Males are also smaller full grown than females -- they only attain a full length of about 9 inches compared to a female's 11 or so.

http://russiantortoise.org is a great site for Russian Tortoises. It is very well respected ... pay special attention to the dietary concerns though. Your mom's Russian looks to be extremely healthy ... she should be proud.

Turtles are great, aren't they???
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 AM

Nice pics!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Romping Ratties

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the info too!

Tags
eared slider, red eared slider