Reading up on Spotted Turtles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Reading up on Spotted Turtles

I've been looking on the net for info on tortoises and turtles. I was looking for one that lived on both land and water, and small in size. I'm doing some further research, but so far, they sound like good pets. I'm all excited now...time to go shopping for a tank!!! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:47 AM

dont know uch about turtles.. other than the ones that i save off of the road near my parents house. Good Luck with it! Let us know how it goes, i would like to have a turtle.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM

I honestly wouldn't get a tank, they are expensive, heavy and hard to keep clean. a 55 gallon rubbermaid type tub would be better.

It is really expensive to get a setup for a turtle. They require so much. You would save alot, if you didn't get a tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

OH! I hadn't even though of using that. Thanks, that'll save me a LOT of money lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:00 AM

Hey, no problem! The only downside is that its not clear like an aquarium. There are SOoo many more postiives, ya know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

I use a bin for my RES turtle and so do many people I know with turtles.They are cheaper then a tank.You CAN get semi-clear ones if you want.Mine is not clear,but it is nice and big.You will need lights,bask areas,heat...etc.I dunno about spotted turtles,but RES turtles are VERY messy and need a good filtration.

I know a good turtle forum too,if your interested.It is a nice place,not as active or as fun as here...but you can get all kinds of info you need.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Sure, but I might have it already........Carissa sent me one that's amazing.......forget the name at the moment though lol
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

A vet also said you can use those big tubs that you water horses in. We have a tank and it was expensive. It is also very heavy. The reason we went with the tank was because Oscar was always in a glass tank and he seems to enjoy looking out at us. We keep him in the family room. Make sure you get the proper lights for growth. UVB I think it is. I believe that helps them make vitamin D. I forget now. Oh and they make really nice turtle docks now that float.
Definitely invest in a really good filter because turtles are DIRTY!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:26 PM

Turtles are VERY messy.So you'll have to have good filtration!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver

Turtles are VERY messy.So you'll have to have good filtration!
Yep...VERRRY messy.I have a good filter that came with Tanjobi when I got him,but it is kinda complicated to use and so most times I don't use it.But then I have to clean his tank every 2 days as it gets very dirty and FAST.

Yes,UVB helps produce vitamin D and is really good for their shell growth.In the summer,I take Tanjobi out in the sun and lets him get UVB that way.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Spotties are actually not a good turtle for beginners (I don't know what your experience with turtles is, so forgive me for giving my speech if it doesn't apply to you ).

They are shallow water dwellers in their natural environment and become more land oriented as they mature. This requires a unique set up that not everyone is willing and/or able to accomodate.

They are relatively poor swimmers as far as aquatic/semi aquatic turtles go, which can be attributed to their tiny size and tiny little webbed feet.

They are also expensive!!

But if you're prepared for all that, and can find a breeder and feel comfortable that they are indeed captive bred, then they make wonderful turtle pets! They have incredible personalities
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Herp Nerd

The spotted turtle is listed as endangered or threatened throughout almost all of it's natural range. Definitely make sure you get one from a reputable breeder, as something taken from the wild could bring you a whole lot of headaches - and not just because wild caught animals are harder to acclimate to captivity. Fish & game authorities all across the US are cracking down hard on people dealing in endangered/threatened species.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Curmudgeon

Look into Reeve's Turtles.

They are a small species, so you don't need a BIG tank, and they are absolutely the most interactive water turtle I've ever had the pleasure of. Great fun, and pretty darn intelligent for a turtle.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 PM

I love Reeves, and would also suggest a mud or musk. They are small and personable as well, but they are extremely fiesty and are not great to handle. I've become a pro at avoiding their long necks and snappy little jaws.

Tags
captive bred, reputable breeder