red ear slider... i have no idea what to do - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

red ear slider... i have no idea what to do

i went to an old freinds house. i havent talked to her in 4 years. well she had a large red ear slider in a FIVE gallon plastic tank. i asked her about it and she said she has had it since it was a baby. she said they caught it at a relitives pond. and she cannot care for it anymore. she asked me if i wanted it (i didnt) but i said yes anyway. he coudnt even turn around in that tank and it stank to high heaven.

i dont want to keep this guy! can i release him back into a pond after two years or will he surely die. right now he is in about a 20 gallon long tank (still too small for him) setting outside in the shade. its got water on half, and a concrete block on the other half so he can get out of the water. i have red ear slider food, and thats what i am doing for him now.

i mainly wanted to know if i can go put him back into a pond
he is about a foot long, and about that wide too. so hes a big boy. basically stayed laying sideways in that 5 gal tank she had him in,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:50 AM

Do you have any reptile rescues in your area?

http://www.pogospals.com/pogospals/RES.html

This is the link for turtle rescue in Indiana. You might email her and let her know your situation. She is a really nice woman, Her name is Marty. She might know of rescues in your area.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

yeah i should contact her. thanks
i've looked at reptile resuces around here before tho, and there is just a couple, and a swear they are some kind of joke! they wont take nothing, and dont seem to know much of nothing. more like a group of kids/teens with lots of reptiles in there basement.
so i am a little hesitant but i will give it another look anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:59 AM

Well, look around her website, she has a really good rescue. Maybe you will know what to look for. How long did this girl have the turtle?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

3 years!
when they found it she said it was tiny
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Herp Nerd

Sadly, red-eared sliders are up there with green iguanas and Burmese pythons. They are difficult to care for, need a large amount of specialized care, and cost next to nothing to acquire (or worse, in the case of sliders, are dirt common in the wild so are all too often free). Rescues are are typically full of them so may not be able to take more, or in the case of turtles, simply don't have the large aquatic setup with appropriate UV lighting, and so forth.

I highly recommend against releasing him into the wild though. In fact, releasing animals from captivity to the wild is actually illegal in many states, except for those animals kept under strict rehabilitation restrictions of minimal human contact. The danger of introducing pathogens (bacteria or diseases) that may only be in captivity into wild populations is often cited as the reason why, plus red-eared sliders are an invasive species which can compete detrimentally with native species. Not to mention the simple issue that he is so used to being fed by humans that he may not really know how to find food for himself well enough to survive, there aren't many turtle pellets in wild ponds. Though, that usually really isn't a big issue with water turtles.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

hmm well if i cant find a resuce i guess i will keep him until i move (next spring) and then i will have to find him a home.
i think i am going to go get one of those huge plastic rubbermaid tubs for him. i just dont know how to make it where he can get out of the water on one side. doesnt it have to be a slop, a gradual change between land and water. these tubs are tall and big, but not very long. how much land do they need? and is keeping him outside fine since its summer? i have a filter i can put on it, but its just for 10-20 gallons. well it beats nothing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have a water turtle. His is a floridan species. At least that is what I think he is!
Turtles are very dirty. I have a large canister filter for his "winter" home. I also have a special light for him that has a heat lamp and a lamp that he can get the proper UVB (I think that's it) b/c they need the vitamin D.
Oscar's "summer" home is the pond in the yard that was installed for him. Being outside is really good for them. They need the natural light.
You may want to look into the prefabricated pond insets as his new home. Or a vet recommended we get one of the plastic horse water buckets - you know the really BIG ones. It's easier to dump the water out of one of these than a glass aquarium. We did not go that route.
If you are not keeping him it would be better to get something you can dump and clean easily b/c I doubt you want to invest in the big filter. It was not cheap!
Also you may want to feed him in a separate container. Many times they will elimate in the other container - this way you avoid some poo and I know the food can be messy as well.
Oscar is on Mazuri water turtle food. It was recommended to me by a docent a the Philadelphia zoo. He eats leaf lettuces and some fruit. You may want to see how much protien he should have. I had been giving Oscar feeder fish but found out that he really should not have them at this point of his life -he is now about 13. He is now pretty much a vegetarian. His diet is similar to that of Tabby's which is nice.
You may also want to contact any small zoos in your area or nature centers to see if they are interested. We have a little zoo that has the same species as Oscar as well as RES. I had worked (years ago) at a nature center and they had a turtle but it was a land species. At one point I thought about seeing if they wanted to take Oscar. I just could not part with him though.
He will need a light when he comes inside for the winter. If you decide to keep him let me know I will see what information I have on Oscar and send it to you. It's all on my computer at work.
I am glad you took him out of that situation! I know it's terrible. We had Oscar in a tank 2 years ago that was too small. The summer before he had been in the pond and GREW! We were not prepared. Last winter we invested a lot of money in his new set up. But is was worth it! He can actually move about the tank and get out to bask.

Oh the basking - they make a turtle dock now. Petco and Petsmart have them. I had to order mine on line though b/c Oscar needed the BIG one and they only had the small and medium in the store.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

i know i will be keeping him until next spring.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 PM

Good luck with him. I would get one of the big rubbermaid containers, like you said. They are lightweight and less expensive than an aquarium. It will be alot easier to clean, etc. As for making him a spot out of the water, you can buy turtle logs and ramps at petstores.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

i looked at the reviews on the ramps and loggs and they were all negitive reviews. said it wont hold up bigger turtles, etc etc.
and this turtle is about a foot long, big heavy girl.
i will post pics of my set up i have for now soon.
also, i am not going to be using a filter so how often should i change the water i was thinking of 30% daily
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oscar is really big and the turtle dock holds him. He is almost too wide for it and his belly is a little in the water but it doesn't totally sink. I am not sure how well the suction cups will stick to plastic though. You can use rocks but they collect dirt under them. My sister uses a plasic container upside down with a nice rock on top.
Just be sure to get him some kind of light. Poor Oscar only had one reptile full spectrum bulb for the first 11-12 years. Now he has the flourescent (I know that is not spelled right) light and 2 of the full spectrum for basking. Oh and I stupidly bought night bulbs. I read about those and they seem to be for breeding. I felt like I was teasing him in there all by himself.
Oh and you may need a heater for the water. Or you can always let him hibernate. You may want to ask his previous owner what he did in the winter. A woman I work with has a turtle that just slows down and stops eating in the winter. I don't think he completely hibernates.
There is a considerable amount of info about RES on the internet but you need to see what is easiest for you. It is important you think out where you keep him inside. Oscar's tank is close enough to a water source to fill it. We have one of the python siphon that is 25 ft long and I use that to empty his tank and refill it. It hooks up to the laundry room sink.
I threatened to put him in the hall bathtub. That only gets used when we go on vacation by my husband's grandmother when she comes here to watch the "kids".
Oh and to feed Oscar in the winter I just use the laundry room sink.

And Oscar likes zuccini too!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 AM

if you have to it should be able to survive in the wild . Im origanaly from FL my sister had turtles that she found as babies kept them a few years then let them go and they made it no problume
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 AM

How do you know they made it? Unless you marked them somehow and are still checking on them, you don't really know if they made it. You should not let them go after they have been raised in an aquarium.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM

I know they made iit because we let them go in the pond behind the house and unless the pond was full of turtles that were simalar size who would float on the water and stare at you and had at least one damaged shell that looked exactly like one of the one we released

Tags
eared slider, eared sliders, red ear slider