Red Eared Slider info please :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Red Eared Slider info please :)

Dont worry, I didnt get one... But my 4 yr old cousin did. Im, like, 99% sure its a RES anyways. They dont know how to take care of it, so they are bringing it with them when they come next weekend so I can help them take care of it.

I know they need UVB lights (Im giving them a ReptiSun 10.0), a good canister filter (They do need canisters, right? Or is there a different kind?), a heat lamp (What basking temps should they be kept at?) and A LOT of room. What advice should I give them, and what should we buy for it? Its being kept in a little storage tub, and it didnt have a heat lamp ofr anything when I talked to them a minute ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Here's a really useful article on RES care that also offers a ton of low-price alternatives for things.

http://wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/RESCareBarton.htm

I have a red-cheeked mud turtle, not a RES. But if you have any general turtle questions, feel free to PM me . It sounds like you already have the basics down.

Good luck! I hope you can save the turtle.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks for the link!

I did a little more research, and here is the info I got:
~Basking Temp: 85-90*F, Cool Side: 75*F
~Water Temp: 75-86*F
~Diet
Protein: Earth worms, waxies, mealies, beef, chicken, bloodworms, crickets, ect...
Veggies: Squash, collards, mustards, ect
Babies eat mostly protein, and adults eat mostly vegetation.
~Supplements: Calcium w/ D3, multivitamin, cuttlebone
~Filter: Canisters work well
~UVB: ReptiSun 10.0 Fluorescent tube

Does this sound good?
And do you need to get a heater for the water too? I have some extra submersible heaters that they can have, but I saw one at the pet store that was "protected"... So would the turtle burn itself on a regular one?
And as for the basking lights. Ive seen "special" turtle ones too, but 99% of the time those types of things are rip offs. But I'm a little worried about a regular bulb exploding if it gets wet. I was going to give them my big piece of cork bark for a basking spot, if they dont already have one.

I'm really trying to keep this as cheap as possible, because they probably wont buy all the things that they need if its too expensive.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The article I linked to actually covers a lot of that .

But anyways, I would just get a turtle food like ReptoMin's. As strange as it sounds (with the crappy looking ingredients), it IS a balanced diet and turtles do very well on it. While the foods you listed are fine (although I'd skip the beef and chicken), I highly doubt that anyone is going to keep up with that diet when they take the turtle home . Suggesting that they feed those foods as treats/supplements would be great but I would recommend that they feed a pellet-type food as a staple. Even if they tried feeding a homemade diet like that, it would be easy to get lazy/cheap and end up feeding only a few of those things--leading to deficiencies. With a good staple pellet, you don't need to worry about adding vitamins or anything.

Also, most turtles won't touch vegetables, at least not without a fight . Adult turtles will nibble on greens but it's hard to convince most turtles to try veggies. You're right, though, babies don't eat much vegetable matter at all while the adults do.

There's no reason to add supplements when the turtle is on a pelleted diet (since those things are added). Most turtles, from what I've seen, ignore cuttlebone or try to eat the whole thing.

There's no need to heat the water unless the house is REALLY cold. In fact, heating the water can sometimes be a bad thing--they won't feel a need to bask. RES are not tropical turtles (they live in NY, in fact--they're invasive, but yeah...). What's more important is a good basking spot .

I have an actual reptile basking bulb but it was cheap, like $6 or something. Don't bother with an expensive one. Once I used a regular incandescent fishtank bulb for a few days (other bulb burnt out) and that worked fine (just not as hot).

My turtle won't bask on floating "island" type basking spots. If the turtle is the same way, find a way to anchor the basking spot or use a large rock instead (I did both and my turtle uses the island as a cave for sleeping, haha).

The only really expensive part is going to be the UVB bulbs. They're going to need to remember to replace them, even if they "look" fine.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Oh, Ok, thanks LOL. The link you gave me was being kinda weird for my computer, so I didnt get to see all of it.

So ReptoMin? Ill tell them to get some. I actually have floating turtle pellets for Squishy, but he doesnt really like them anymore, so I might just give them the pellets.
And I didnt think there would be any reason to get a "special" bulb, but just making sure LOL. Ive always used regular house lights for my beardies.

Oh, I was going to give them a digital thermometer too. I wanted a different one for Dudley, so they can have his current one. Its an indoor/outdoor one, so the probe should be able to stand up to the water if it gets wet.

Thanks for all the advice!

Tags
turtle