Saved *maybe* a box turtle Saturday - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Saved *maybe* a box turtle Saturday

I was traveling towards Columbia on Saturday and I nearly hit a box turtle crossing the road!

It was a shock to me because this is the first time I've ever personally seen one in the wild. They are just so rare nowadays ... anyway, this was 376/78 -- people travelling like 75 mph so I turned around to make sure it had gotten across okay.

Someone had hit it. It's back end was crushed and I was sure it must be dead but when I touched its head it pulled in! Anyway, I took it to my car and drove it to Sunset Animal Clinic in West Columbia. The little girl (yes, likely a girl) was feisty the entire trip! I've always read that shell injuries are not always as bad as they seem but I couldn't believe she was moving so much!

Anyway, the doctors there always told me that they would fix for free any turtle I could bring in ... and they are very good. I'm going to call up there Monday morning to see if she's made it this far. Even if she doesn't I'm glad that she'll be receiving care or, at the very least, humanely euthanized.

I can't help but think I was meant to turn around and get her ... I'd hate to think of her suffering, perhaps for days, in the woods somewhere. Please cross your fingers with me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Awww. We had one brought in as a DOA today. Always a sad sight to see. I hope your girl pulls through!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

that's so awesome that you brought her in. i hope she makes it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 PM

I'm so glad you brought her in! I really hope she makes it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Any news, Erin?

Stephanie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:00 AM

I rescued a box turtle out of the road the other day. It was a male and he was precious. I didn't get to take any pics. We let him go in our huge garden outside. He was really friendly. Good luck with the one you saved. I hope she makes it!!! Box turtles are special.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:22 AM

I hope she makes it and I am glad you found her so she could be looked after
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, they decided to end her suffering. When they removed part of the shell they found that she had a very bad internal injury (I'm not sure what exactly). There was a very slim chance that they could save her but it was much more likely that she would just end up lingering for a longer period of time. It is sad but I think they did the right thing. Anything has to be better than her surviving for days in the woods ... I really think she would have if I'd left her there.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:02 PM

That's so sad that they had to do it that way... But you're right -- much better than suffering in the woods.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

aw...that's really sad. but at least the little turtle is in no more pain.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 AM

Poor little turtle
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard to hear, but you still saved her, either way. This way you saved her from a potentially slow, painful death.

Stephanie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Tags
box turtle