Sexing Funiculi... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Sexing Funiculi...

So... Funiculi has finally reached the 4 inches lengh... and I would like some help on sexing him/her. I think he's a male... but this is my first turtle, and I haven't really had much experience with them in general, so I would like you guys to see these pics I snapped and tell me what you think about it. 8) Thanks!

First, lengh!

I took this one cause he looked so funny!!!

Nails

Tail

Since those two weren't too good, I took some of him swimming in his tank...
Nails

Tail

And a last one, cause I thought it was funny!

I'm currently working on a platform (basking area) that goes on top of the tank so I can fill the tank completely... it should be completed in less than a month, now that I finally have time to dedicate to it. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Hmmm...I don't know what to say! I know my turtle Tiesto is a male.That i'm 110% sure on.He has a long& thick tail.
Recently,though,I have been a bit confused on the gender of Adrian...what I thought was a female.The nails of your turtle is longer than my "female's" & the tail is longer too.
Based on that,compared to my male,
I want to say you have a male.
Mine is a bit bigger though.
But the closeup of the tail& nails,I really want to say male.
It looks different than Adrians& Adrian is different than Tiesto& I know for sure Tiesto is a male
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

totally has nothing to do with your question but.. your turtle is so cute!! i love the second picture

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
It looks different than Adrians& Adrian is different than Tiesto& I know for sure Tiesto is a male
LOL! That made me laugh... Thanks for the comments..

I've posted this in several forums and people point me to a page with "how to sex a turtle" and I know the theory... but I have no base for comparison and that's what I wanted... I mean... I know that male's tails are longer... but how long is longer? LOL Thanks! 8)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM

Well,I have 2 turtles,one I'm FOR sure is male...but the other,I'm too confused!!
Adrian has a stubby tail...I could try to get pics but it dont help that everytime I take them up they curl their tail to the side!!
I'll get pics when they are walking in the grass,so need a nice day,then I can show their tails & i'll get pics of the claws.
I do think Adrian is female though but what confused me is..in theory..isn't the females supposed to be larger? (my male is bigger than my 'female' )

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, in theory females are supposed to be way bigger than males... maybe she's younger than him?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 PM

Thats what I'm guessing. I got 2 from a local ad...a disabled girl had them& well her parents could no longer keep them (they were doing all the work for obvious reasons...) & well,they had bought small turtles & was told they'd stay teeny tiny& well,they had no basking light or anything& they never swam till I got them (they had just a bit of water ...not enough to really swim..in a small tub..not one of those roomy ones,a small one) & I have no idea their ages or anything like that.
But thats whats confusing me now.I think she's a she.It's the being smaller that is confusing me!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Oooh, I've heard those stories! And the people that say "if you keep them in a small tank, they won't grow... hahaha

Here I've seen some people sell them for $20, quarter-sized turtle with "it's tank" which is actually an 8-inch diameter bowl with a little palm tree in the center... that's just sad. 8(
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Ahh thats those "turtle lagoons" *thumbs down for those*
I see a lot of those being sold online
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

yeah, that's not even fit for a quarter sized turtle... it's idiotic!