Sick Turtles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Sick Turtles

My map turtles have soft shells I have been giving them calcium powder and calcium blocks and they have gotten a bit harder.
They are going vets tomorrow it has taken me ages to get an appointment because only 1 of the vets in GBG deals with turtles.
I should imagine they will have a calcium injection.
I was just wondering whether I should seperate them when they get back from the other turtles and what else I should do.
Will they be sore from it or make them sick?
Should I raise the temperature of the tank?
Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
I do not understand why those 2 are sick and the other 4 are fine yet they are treated the same and live in the same environment.
Do you think they should be seperated for ever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Herp Nerd

Well, as you said its obviously from calcium deficiency - but the causes of that can come from a number of sources. My first concern would be to look at the lighting. Are they getting adequate basking time? Map turtles really love to bask, and will spend a good portion of their time out of the water soaking up the sun. If the lighting is old, too far away from the basking spot, or even if they have sunlight outdoors, but are competing for their basking areas with other turtles, they may not be getting enough UV.

My other concern would be that they are competing with other turtles for food, and the other turtles are winning. So they're not getting as much good food. Like if you're feeding fish, the map turtles may only be getting a small piece of meat, while another, more aggressive turtle is getting the bones, liver, and so forth - the parts with more concentrations of nutrients.

Personally, I think I would seperate them out - if for any reason, just to make sure they are not competing with other turtles for anything. Competition works in the wild, but it doesn't work in a captive situation. It usually leads to stress and illness.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I feed them seperate so they can all eat as much as they want.
They do not eat fish they dont like it.
All they eat are red worms, spinach, sweetcorn and pellets.
I have changed the light when I first noticed it but I will get them their own light for a tank of their own and see how they get on.
I love my little turtles.
I also smother their food in calcium powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Herp Nerd

Spinach is high in oxalic acids, one of the highest veggies. Oxalic acids bind with calcium and make it unusable to the body. Seems unlikely thats the entire issue, but something to consider.

Rav

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok I wont give them that but they have not had it in a while anyways.
It is hard being in another country and basicaly being a person who only knows peas and carrots as a vegetable in the first place to know what to feed them.
Is sweetcorn ok? I know it can be hard to digest.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Herp Nerd

Corn wouldn't be my choice to feed them, but I'd think it would be ok in moderation. Map turtles in the wild are generally more carnivorous, preferring fish, worms, snails, shrimp, crayfish, and insects but also feed on aquatic vegetation. This varies quiet a bit between species, and even between tutles. I'd just try to mix it up and give them some new stuff, see how they like it. The more variation in the diet the more sure you're going to be that they get all they need. Supplimentation with calcium/vitamin powder is good, but its no substitute for a balanced diet in the first place. If you can find greens, like collard greens (or colewort), or mustard greens. They're probably not readily available there, but would be better than the spinach and might still be readily accepted. Not sure what else to suggest that might be easy for you to find there. Perhaps chicory, escarole, endive, or watercress?

Rav

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Never heard of any of those things...
Can small turtles eat crickets??? Or will they run away? i dont like the idea of crickets running loose in my house.
I think they are too small to eat snails.
The pet shop only offers red bloodworms, white and black ones.
My turtles will only eat the red.
Can they eat normal prawns from the shop?
They liked the salmon I gave them is that good vitamins for them or which other fish shall I try.
The other turtles are doing fine so i dont know why those 2 are not
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Herp Nerd

Generally they're pretty clumsy about catching crickets, but if they could get ahold of them, I'm sure they'd eat them. If the prawns are normally considered to be edible, then your turtles would probably eat them - I buy shrimp and crayfish from fishing bait shops for mine. Salmon is good, I feed my turtles trout and minnows. Sometimes they get krill left overs if my eel doesn't eat it. Or catfish nuggets when I feed those to my big lizards.

Its so hard to say, especially with little guys. Sometimes it can be really hard to judge what is going on with them. I would definitely set them up on their own though. It could be something as simple as a bit of stress. Turtles can often be pushy to tank mates.

Rav

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am gonna set their tank up in the morning before I take them to the vet.
Make it warmer in there for them to relax them after their trauma of a vet visit.
I am worried because I just hope the vet knows what he is doing.
I am gonna go to the fish stall and get some salmon and prawns.
Do you know how big they should be at about 8 months old please.
You are being very helpfull.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:10 PM

I hope they are ok?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Will let everyone concerned know how it goes tomorrow after the vet.
See what he says and does with them...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Took my little guys to the vet. Squashy was worse than Squsihy so he got a calcium and vitamin injection. Nearly cried when the vet gave it to him...

I am seperating them and have bought them logs and rocks for their tank and a uvb bulb.
I think the main fault was that in UK it is colder in the houses and the water where there was no lights was colder but here in the houses it is very hot even in the winter so it was hot all over so they could not cool down. I am sorting the problem.

Plus she has written down the swedish names for the vegetables so I am gonna get them tomorrow

Tags
collard greens, doing fine, mustard greens, pet shop, vet visit