slider shell sheding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

slider shell sheding?

i have a 3 year old slider and the other day i noticed pieces of his shell in the water. they are very thin small sheets from his shell and the part on him where they came from are a brighter green color. what does this mean!??! also i've read that they should only eat like every other day, mine hits the side of the tank till i feed him and does this many times a day. each time i give him food he acts like hes starving... how should i handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Herp Nerd

It is not uncommon for their shells to shed scutes like that. As long as theres no injury or anything that looks like a fungus or bacterial infection on the shell, its nothing to be concerned about.

Even well fed sliders have a habit of coming over to the side of the tank when people come around and acting like they're starving to death. It doesn't necessarily mean they're hungry. Its kind of hard to judge if they're eating enough, you generally just have to find that middle ground in between how much is being eaten, how much is going to waste. Feeding a variety of things, insects, pellets, and fish will make sure he's getting enough nutrients.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help with the shell- i was very worried. when i feed him nothing goes to waste, so i guess i'll just keep up what i'm doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:26 PM

My old turtle used to shed every October; it's normal, the first time I saw it I was worried too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:45 PM

Daizy2414.

It is true that turtles shed their scutes as do torts.

You should feed your Slider daily. Not every other day.

Most people feed thier Torts every other day because they wont eat every day mine do. But Tortoises (torts) arent the same as turtles.

The way i look at feeding turtles as my map turtle is ravenous every morning. I feed him a little in the Am, a little in the afternoon, and a little at night. He doesnt get more than he needs, but hes also not overly hungry during the day.

Turtles are very active swimming all day. They need more food more frequently.

Tortoises while active, slowly digest their food, and rest and sunbathe for a good porton of the day.

Depending on breed of tortoise some may hibernate some may not.

I was lucky when i recued my guys. They are african spurred Tortoises THEY NEVER HIBERATE. They start hissing every morning so they can eat breakfast. Then the dogs have to wait till the torts get their food before they are able to eat.

My torts are only 8 months. But they know their schedule like clockwork.

You have to love a turtle and a tort with a bubbly personality!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Herp Nerd

In the wild, tortoises are grazers, they wander and eat constantly. Its hard to replicate that in captivity without having a large outdoor enclosure and making sure food is provided over the course of the day instead of all at once.

Most aquatic turtles on the other hand, they tend to eat and then spend most of their time basking in one spot. If they're swimming all the time, maybe their basking spot is not adequate? Of course, its completely normal for them to dive off their basking spot as soon as a human nears and then come over to the side of the tank and act like they're starving to death.

All turtles are very routine orientated, and if you stick to a schedule, you'll eventually find your turtle or tortoise waiting for you at feeding times.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Ravnos.

My torts have 7 feeders in a 1/4 acre enclosyre. They get their food deposited. However in general all torts i have met sit there, dig, or eat. i have food spread to encourage activity while eating.

I have yet to own a turtle that did not spend 90% of its time swimming around. Different tanks, different basking spots. All are in great condition.

Back to the torts.
even at zoos the torts for the most part walk around and hang out. Because you cant really grow plants adequatly in an enclosure your torts HAVE to be fed once or twice a day, plus the feeders.