Some help please! or Information - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Some help please! or Information

Hi! Ray really wants to get a turtle. When we were in Conneaut we sawa turtle that was just a bit bigger then a half dollar. Does anyone have any idea what kind of turtle that could have been? What kind of supplies do we need? Is there anything special I should concider? I am going to try and do some research after work, but am hoping someone knowledge (Hi Toirt) will come along and tell me what needs to be done!

Capn'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 06:30 PM

Capn, I have always wanted a turtle. We had a toirtis/box turtle when I was a kid, but we didnt really take care of it like we should have. We just let it wander around the house. It lived for about a year as I remember. Since then I have not had turtles except for red-eared-sliders. They are cute, but require and elaborate system that must be cleaned often if they are kept inside. I just can't do it.

Before you get a turtle I highly reccomend doing research. This will help you determine what kind of turtle/toirtis you want to get. Toirt will give good advice no doubt, but personal research is always good.

Keep us informed. I am bound and determined to get a turtle/toirtis later in life. Just like I want a dog, a cat, a prairie dog, and 2 kids. We are going to have a full house, and I am going to be a busy mommy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 06:31 PM
Princess in Waiting

Zoe and Erin have a red-earred slider that they just love. It does have pretty good bit of personality. It lives in a 40-gallon high aquarium with a heater and a pump for the water, but she also has plenty of rocks so that she can get up out of the water when she chooses.

I don't know a whole lot about turtles, but if you'd like to send me a PM, I'll send you Erin's email address and you can quiz her. (I talked to her and got an okay on this offer!).

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Okay. Ray is under the veiw that turtles needs some rocks adn some water and that is it. He never realized how much they needed. A Box Turtle is more likely what we will go with, but I think it will be best if we wait until we move out.

I thought about starting with a small tank set up then moving to something bigger when we move in March, but I'd rather wait. let us get settled into our house, and set up a kick *ss turtle enviroment. Plus with planning a wedding and moving in the next 7 months, I don't want to take on another pet. because although it would be HIS turtle, iI know I will be doing the research, care and maintence.

What size tank should we be looking for? Can I find box turtles as babies(I mean smalllike the one I saw at Conneaut)? Are turtles social animals, like should I get 2 for their happiness?(Is that a dumb question)

Plus next summer, we are hoping to have a yard-and a little pond, would I be able to take my turtle out?

I hope my questions aren't dumb. Maybe I will get ray the tank, and lights or something for Christmas.

Red Eared sliders are concidered docile, I a m looking at them. This one site says 2 adults could go in a 20 galloon aquarium? Do you think they are just saying that to get you buy them and they'd be unhappy?

Last edited by capnsweets; 08-21-2002 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

http://snakewrapped.reptilecity.com/

If you click on Red eared sliders adults, it will say 2 adults. For RES babies it says 2+ can live in a 10 gallon. I found a really could turtle forum I am lurking on right now........That would make you proud I think!

http://gordasforums.proboards.com/in...board=aquatics

Thanks for all your help! I really do apreciate it! Would there be a special kind of paint I'd have to buy for the outside and would a 40 gallon-60 gallon also be good for a RES?

I wouldn't leave the turtle out side by itself Toirt! But at the site I am at, i am reading abotut the ponds where the turtles live year round, That is crazy. I'd be too nervous! Plus it is too cold here, they have to hibernate!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Toirt. I really do apreciate all your help!

Tags
box turtle, eared slider, eared sliders, prairie dog, red eared slider, red eared sliders, social animals