suggestions for filters for RES tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Question suggestions for filters for RES tank

The tank is about 10-15 gallons. I have tried 2 different "whisper" submerged filters. They do not work very well. They are quiet but clog easily (I only have one RES) and the filter gets sooo dirty. So.. I purchased another one which is mostly outside the tank with a small submergable arm and that barely works plus the turtle likes to be near it and has actually moved rocks to get under it which makes it stop. Also, that is a loud pump! So .. any suggestions for decent, quiet filters that work excellent. At this point money isn't so important since I'm on my 3rd one anyway! '

thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Playful Pup

Even with filters i have to clean my turtles every like 3-4 days. I use the whisper 10i for my baby snapper and 40i for my red ear slider. I dont find that they clog that fast.
Your turtle still a baby?

Really good filters that i love are the magnum canister filters but your tank is too small.

My Myspace Profile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

no not a baby ... just well fed. haha
I need to find a filter that she can't go under, can't exercise her curiousity and get caught! Maybe i can find a quiet one that sits on the floor of the tank. Now i have one that is outside the dripping water is sooo loud!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Playful Pup

The rule for turtles is 10 gallons per inch of turtle. You should really upgrade the tank size if its not a baby.

My Myspace Profile

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Betta Bomb

i have 33 gallon tanks-and i find the Fluval series quite good.right now i have Fluval 3's but need to upgrade.....theyre really expensive!!i paid 100$ each for them...its a submersible cannister filter and you just slide the filters into the slots so i use replaceables from a fish supply store and cut them to fit.they do need to be cleaned often b/c theyre too small right now for the size tanks i have...a good thing to try is move your turtles to say,a tote box for feeding and that immensely cuts down on tank waste! i keep them in there until they do there "#2" as well!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Herp Nerd

I used to use Fluval cannisters, but got frustrated at how annoying they are to clean and get restarted... I've switched all my tanks over to Marineland HOT Magnum filters. They do an amazing job considering their size, and are easy to break down and clean. I've never found one of the little in-tank filters that is adequate to deal with turtle waste. They're just far too messy.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
red ear slider